Fuel tank filler problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Fuel tank filler problem

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 07-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Komodo

Fuel tank filler problem

2005 Jeep liberty limited
Automatic
Gas engine
V6, 3.7 L
Purchased in Canada
70.000 miles

I got an OBD2 trouble code P0456 (EVAP, very small leak) and P0457 (fuel cap loose/off).

I tried to change the fuel cap and the problem came back, so I took it to the dealer and he said the next step is to change the gas fuel tank filler neck hose. He said he tested it with smoke but wont tell me were the leak is, just the hose needs to be replaced, $615.00.

Is there some kind of sealer I can use instead of replacing the whole unit and if not, can I do the job myself in a home garage. Im not an auto mechanic, but I am handy with tools.

Komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you do need that filler hose you must drop the gas tank to do so and those hoses are special hoses and pricey.Just check out pricing of larger diameter fuel hose and you will see it's not cheap.
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

One of the GM dealers in my neck of the woods does charge a cool 1 K to replace a fuel pump on a late model pickup, they left the tank in the frame. I watched as they lifted the bed off, then replace the pump - and drop the box back on. Just how they do it I guess.

I do not have any real comparison for the KJ's though.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post
One of the GM dealers in my neck of the woods does charge a cool 1 K to replace a fuel pump on a late model pickup, they left the tank in the frame. I watched as they lifted the bed off, then replace the pump - and drop the box back on. Just how they do it I guess.

I do not have any real comparison for the KJ's though.
Yeah you can get away with pulling the box on a pickup,not always pratical though as it does take 4 poeple to remove and install it.You can't do the same on a KJ.

You also gotta think a high quality fuel pump will run you $500-$700 alone and generally most vehicles with in-tank pumps call for between 2-4 hours to remove/install the gas tank.A few,very few actually, you can change the pump without dropping the gas tank like the xterra which has a in-cab access panel(bolted on).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.