Fuel problems with '02 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Fuel problems with '02 Liberty

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
JL2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Fuel problems with '02 Liberty

My problem started with putting gas in at Quicktrip. I went to start it, and it wouldn't start. When I finally got it to start it wouldn't stay started and while it was started the valves were clattering pretty bad. I got it home, and was going to replace throttle position sensor, but when I was taking parts off, I noticed that the map sensor was broke. I changed that instead, thinking that because it was broke that was my problem. It started and ran, so I took it out for a test drive. It has a rough idle, and when I accelerate it cuts out, but doesn't die. The fuel pump was changed last year, I replaced the plugs yesterday. Any ideas on what could be the problem? I appreciate any input.

JL2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Did you change the plugs before or after this event? People frequently put the autozone pushed bosch garbage in them, and that causes plenty of issues alone. Quicktrip is normally very good on their fuel, but I've heard one situation in Tulsa where a delivery was messed up, the tanker driver dropped diesel into a gas tank. Any codes stored? What is your fuel pressure running? Even though your pump was changed last year, it can still be bad. If you had a shop that uses substandard parts, like airtex pumps, etc, that can be a problem too. For some unknown reason, fuel pumps love to die when the tank gets filled. If it was bad gas, it would have ran initially, as it still had good fuel in the lines and fuel rail.

Former ttown resident here.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
JL2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The plugs were changed after, and I bought autolight double platinum spark plugs. We've always bought qt gas and never had any issues. I will check the other things you mentioned. I've thought about the fuel pump going bad, even after a year. Thanks for the suggestions.
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Doesn't help you put the wrong plugs in it either. Your engine calls for copper NGK plugs, not double platinum. The differences in how much kv it takes to jump the gap will lead to a weaker spark vs copper. Plenty of known running issues using platinum in place of copper plugs amongst the professionals.
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
JL2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

I wasn't aware of that. The guy at autozone said the copper were the cheapest they had, but we could always use a better one, like the double platinum.Thanks for the heads up.
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Rule #1, do not buy at autozone. Rule #2, refer to rule #1. Never listen to the idgets at autozone. Its like going to Mcdonalds, and asking the drive thru gal how to smoke babyback ribs. Different types of plugs have different uses, and one type isn't better than all others in all cases. Today I had a ford explorer come in, that somebody threw champion copper plugs in, and gapped them to the ford spec. Problem is, that 0.052" gap is fine for double platinum plugs, but not for copper. Guess how well it ran when it came in, and how well it ran when it went out? If in doubt come on here and ask. Lot more expertise here than all autozones combined.
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
JL2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Makes sense. Back to get the right plugs this weekend and hopefully that fixes her up!
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
JL2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Where should I buy the NGK plugs?
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Oreillys, Napa, would be a couple of places I'd recommend. Oreillys at 46th and memorial is the hub store and has the most complete inventory btw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.