Fuel blow back problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Fuel blow back problem

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Reply
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Bruce_frm_Bklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7
Fuel blow back problem

Need to vent

I recently bought a used 07 Jeep Liberty sport. I noticed 70% of the time, when filling my gas tank to full, about two cups of gas blows back out of the filler tube before the gas pump shuts off. I found a yahoogroup and discussed this issue with others. Someone posted a snail mail saying Chrysler sent out a extended warranty on the effected parts for those who have this problem. I called them, even wrote them, showed them a copy of the letter, they refuse to do anything for me. The letter states owners of 07 and 08 jeep liberty who have a gas backflow problem can have this problem fixed, but they wont do that for my 07. This is what almost sunk Chrysler back in the early 80's. A total lack of standing behind their product. They know they have a problem, but for some reason, they refuse to fix my jeep while fixing others with the same problem.

Bruce

Bruce_frm_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_frm_Bklyn View Post
Need to vent

I recently bought a used 07 Jeep Liberty sport. I noticed 70% of the time, when filling my gas tank to full, about two cups of gas blows back out of the filler tube before the gas pump shuts off. I found a yahoogroup and discussed this issue with others. Someone posted a snail mail saying Chrysler sent out a extended warranty on the effected parts for those who have this problem. I called them, even wrote them, showed them a copy of the letter, they refuse to do anything for me. The letter states owners of 07 and 08 jeep liberty who have a gas backflow problem can have this problem fixed, but they wont do that for my 07. This is what almost sunk Chrysler back in the early 80's. A total lack of standing behind their product. They know they have a problem, but for some reason, they refuse to fix my jeep while fixing others with the same problem.

Bruce
In bold is why,you bought it used and not the original owner.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Bruce_frm_Bklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7
is that official policy? Or just how they treat people? I am not one to settle for second best. I maybe charging at windmills, but I do see giants and wont stop charging till i get the respect I deserve.

Bruce
Bruce_frm_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Bruce_frm_Bklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7
I do have to say this. While talking to Jeep about this issue on the phone, they did say for the window problem on some jeeps, there is the extended warranty in place. But that was in place before purchase.

Bruce
Bruce_frm_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_frm_Bklyn View Post
is that official policy? Or just how they treat people? I am not one to settle for second best. I maybe charging at windmills, but I do see giants and wont stop charging till i get the respect I deserve.

Bruce
Would you warranty a second hand item you built 6 years ago,well outside of warranty, and actually built by another company all together?

The Chrysler that built your KJ is gone and has been for a few years and the new owners are out of kindness fixing some issues but by a federal judge do not have to.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
kappclark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southern VT
Posts: 4
This forum is such a help !

I thought I was the only one with this plm ... I own a 2005 Jeep Liberty with 138K miles..last fillup took forever ...

I am the second owner ... Am I to understand that Jeep will repair this plm for free ?? I scared the heck out of me when gas came spitting back ... I had to feed the jeep very slowly ... otherwise, she runs fine ...

Any ideas ??
__________________
*****************
* Bill Clark
* Windham, VT
*****************
kappclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 2,392
If it isn't a recall, they don't normally have to do squat.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Bruce_frm_Bklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7
They have placed a extended warranty on the effected parts, but they are taking their sweet time allowing consumers get their jeeps repaired. Fiat Chrysler isn't interested in keeping customers who bought Daimler Chrysler, or so it seems. They only thing they told me, if I get it repaired at a Chrysler dealer, if or when they include me, they will reimburse me what I spent. But if I go to a private repair place, they will only refund me parts, not labor.
Bruce_frm_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Moshi Tanzania, Ohio/Tanzania
Posts: 4,193
I recently bought a 1931 Whippet and have some issues
Will Chrysler stand behind getting it repaired I wonder
__________________
04 Liberty, Kilimanjaro Edition, Rock Lizard RockRails/Roof Rack/Front-Rear bumper,32 inch Goodyear Duratracs,Moabs,4.10s/ 4.25 inch JBA Coilover lift /other goodies
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Bruce_frm_Bklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7
Don’t make a mockery here about this problem. Chrysler is acknowledging either a poorly designed part or a part that fails prematurely. They said people with my year liberty can get it repaired for free, but won’t do it for me.
Bruce_frm_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_frm_Bklyn View Post
Donít make a mockery here about this problem. Chrysler is acknowledging either a poorly designed part or a part that fails prematurely. They said people with my year liberty can get it repaired for free, but wonít do it for me.
Don't worry just let someone rear end your KJ and it will just burst into flames,no more fuel spitting issue to worry about.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
ppap
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 23
jeep.com has a link for the recalls based on the VIN. I just had 2 recalls done on my 2003 Liberty with 123k miles at no cost to me. I am not familiar with the fuel nozzle issue but it may not be classified as a RECALL. It may just be an update or technical service bulletin. If its not an actual RECALL by definition, you will have to pay for it once its out of the warranty period. If the prior owners had taken it to the dealership for service, even for an oil change, all the recalls would have been fixed. I have worked for two European dealerships and was always amazed at how many people would come in with their LONG out-of-warranty vehicles that hadn't seen a dealership since the day they were purchased new and DEMAND that issues be addressed for free because there was a TSB out on them. Their argument was always the same, the manufacturer KNEW about the problem therefore they are responsible to fix it and any collateral damage at no charge. Guess what? Parts break, wear and basically fail from neglect, age and abuse. If its not a recall, the manufacturer is not liable. I bought my Liberty, used, a couple months ago and did quite a bit of work to it. I knew full well it was abused and neglected and required a significant amount or repairs (that equates to money) to get it running SAFELY. Its interesting how people buy used cars at cut rate prices with the understanding that the vehicle is in NEW condition and they will never have to sink a penny into it. Unless the prior owner has a stack of dealer receipts showing all necessary work has been performed, plan on spending money - a lot of it.

This site is a tremendous resource of information for those that want to do it themselves or at least have an understanding of what's involved. The rest of you that lack the ability or initiative to do so BUT still want services performed for nothing - stop crying and go die quietly somewhere. You don't have the right to own a car.
ppap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppap View Post
jeep.com has a link for the recalls based on the VIN. I just had 2 recalls done on my 2003 Liberty with 123k miles at no cost to me. I am not familiar with the fuel nozzle issue but it may not be classified as a RECALL. It may just be an update or technical service bulletin. If its not an actual RECALL by definition, you will have to pay for it once its out of the warranty period. If the prior owners had taken it to the dealership for service, even for an oil change, all the recalls would have been fixed. I have worked for two European dealerships and was always amazed at how many people would come in with their LONG out-of-warranty vehicles that hadn't seen a dealership since the day they were purchased new and DEMAND that issues be addressed for free because there was a TSB out on them. Their argument was always the same, the manufacturer KNEW about the problem therefore they are responsible to fix it and any collateral damage at no charge. Guess what? Parts break, wear and basically fail from neglect, age and abuse. If its not a recall, the manufacturer is not liable. I bought my Liberty, used, a couple months ago and did quite a bit of work to it. I knew full well it was abused and neglected and required a significant amount or repairs (that equates to money) to get it running SAFELY. Its interesting how people buy used cars at cut rate prices with the understanding that the vehicle is in NEW condition and they will never have to sink a penny into it. Unless the prior owner has a stack of dealer receipts showing all necessary work has been performed, plan on spending money - a lot of it.

This site is a tremendous resource of information for those that want to do it themselves or at least have an understanding of what's involved. The rest of you that lack the ability or initiative to do so BUT still want services performed for nothing - stop crying and go die quietly somewhere. You don't have the right to own a car.
Finally another person that understands
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Bruce_frm_Bklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7
Its a shame that there isn't a intelligence test before being allowed to post. Please re-read my first post. For those who cant, here is what I said. Chrysler sent out snail mail to owners of some Jeep Liberties stating they are placing a extended warranty on parts for people who are having fuel blow out of the filler tube. Not a recall, but a extended warranty on the parts. The snail mail states Jeep Libertys 07, and 08 are effected. This was very recent, within the last couple of months, not years ago. They can bring in their jeeps for a free repair. I have a 07 Liberty with the fuel blow back problem. So why isn't Fiat Chrysler including me??

Soon after purchasing my Jeep, I brought in to have a duplicate key made, they noticed a recall and took care of it.

Last edited by Bruce_frm_Bklyn; 06-16-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Bruce_frm_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Bruce_frm_Bklyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7
For those that are familiar with the rear window problems, I have that extended warranty still valid on my 07 Liberty.
Bruce_frm_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.