front suspension noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > front suspension noise

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
rg214

front suspension noise

Hello jeep wizards,

I have a 2003 liberty sport that is making a knocking sound in the front end. I have some technical knowledge from doing minor repairs on the car when I first received it(parents offloaded it to me). It has 180,000 on it and I can't tell if any of the front suspension parts have been replaced other than the control arms in a recall. Of course there is plenty of rust on everything.

The noise, as I said, is a loud knocking sound and can be felt in the floor when driving. This happens when I hit any bumps in the road. Could it be the struts? Or the springs over top of them? Everything else seems to be in working order. The tires don't wear unevenly and I have no trouble steering or using 4wd.

I'm getting stationed at fort drum in new York after school so I'd really like to keep the liberty for the awful snow up there. Any ideas?

rg214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Leeann_KJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Is it only when you hit bumps or worse when you hit bumps?

Jack up the front end and wiggle a tire up and down. It sounds like a sway bar bushing. The BILs '03 did that when he bought it and it was just the passenger-side bushing.
Leeann_KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

With 180,000 miles and if the springs / shocks etc have never been replaced I'd start there. Measure middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare and I'll bet its sagged an inch or more.
But also check ball joints even if the upper control arms had been replaced at one time they could be worn out
Depending on when it was built it should be about 19 to 19.75 inches as mentioned above.
But I'd either check everything or have some one knowledgeable to check everything out for you

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.