FRONT & REAR AXLE OIL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > FRONT & REAR AXLE OIL

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-27-2005, 05:34 AM   #1
JRoach6346

FRONT & REAR AXLE OIL

We have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4. Have only used the 4 wheel drive twice since new for short distance. Is it necessary to change the transfercase oil & differential oil every 12,000 miles as indicated in owners manual? The dealership wants $300.00 to change. The jeep is currently in shop due to rear main seal leak with just 29000 miles. Only have 5 more months of warranty. Thanks,

JRoach6346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, cheap insurance. Even though you don't use 4wd much, there are still many important parts spinning around in there that will cost you way more than $300 to replace. Also check around because at my local dealer it costs $99+fluid for the 4x4 service.

Or if you're feeling adventurous do it yourself it really isn't that hard, just smells bad.
Unread 10-27-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
jeepjeepster

For the tcase i would say 30k, and the front axle. The rear axle would be ok to change it at 12k. The rear axle has torque on it all the time, the front axle does not. $300 is not that bad for the front rear and tcase. But i could never bring myself to pay that, i do all that myself. I got 5gallons of 75-140syn for $68 and maybe $10 for tyhe tcase.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
TRO

$300!!! Wow, here in Orange County CA, both axles $140. With coupon $80.
I still changed them myself.
(Mopar Bullbar, Courtesy Lights, Webasto moonroof, Subwoofer, 05 AC controls, Scangauge, Aux. Lights, 9145 to 9005, Mag mount, USASpec Ipod Controller,rear gate pocket, Lloyd Mats, Filtermag, etc...) JEEP Owner until the day I die.
TRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
JRoach6346

Thank You for your advise. We have never had a 4X4 before so this is all new to us. Thanks again...JR
JRoach6346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2005, 03:27 AM   #6
Mateo94XJ

If you have an hour or two, a few sockets, some gear oil, some RTV (red or black) and a siphon for the gear oil, you can do it yourself. Total cost for everything except the hand tools shouldn't really exceed 30 bux, and that's saying you go overboard and buy synthetic fluid and an electric pump for the gear oil.
Mateo94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2005, 05:34 AM   #7
LibertyV6

I am doing all 3 services (F and R Diff, and TC) at 30,000 miles (that's 2k away)
QUESTION------- is the stock Diff fluid synthetic already?

Will probably do an AAMCO (or whoever does it) transmission power purge as well. Some say it can wait till 36k or even 45k miles, but I say the stock tranny fluid has taken a beating and needs all new fluid. From there I will let it run for 45 or 50k miles, with probably 1 quick 5 quart drain and refill in-between.

One thing I am suprised is that the dealer wants me to replace my spark plugs at 30k miles. I would hope they at least keep working till 36k miles. Anyone else think that 30k is a little early for spark plugs?
[U]ADDED[/U] MAGNAFLOW stainless muffler, Turbolator exhaust tip, K&N drop-in, ECLIPSE CD5000 8V HeadUnit, Infinity KAPPA speakers (all w/ Dynamat) run off RF 800a4 amp, One 12" [COLOR=DarkRed][B]KICKER[/B] [/COLOR] [COLOR=Blue]Solo-Baric[/COLOR] L7 subwoofer - run off RF 500a2 amp, 2 AURA under-seat bass shakers using alpine Flex2 amp, Front/ rear Mopar window flares, front slush mats, eurostyle antenna, Power Horn with Uniden PA Mic, 3" Smittybilt step rails[/FONT]
LibertyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.