Front passenger side cv axle shaft related question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Front passenger side cv axle shaft related question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
megatone

Front passenger side cv axle shaft related question

Well, I have a clunking sound when driving over bumps at all speeds. I got underneath the Jeep and noticed a couple things.

The lower strut clevis bushings on both Lower Control Arms needed to be replaced........I bought two OEM bushings from a local Jeep dealership at a cost of $37.50 each. I removed both LCA's myself and dropped them off (with the new bushings) at a machine shop and had the bushings installed for $40.

I reassembled the front end and took the Jeep for a test drive. The clunking sound went away quite a bit, but it's still noticeably there. So I get back underneath the jeep and start inspecting things more closely. I notice that I can grab the cv shaft and wobble it around quite a bit.

I've never owned a Jeep of any sort before, but I am familiar with the basic designs of this style IFS 4x4 (as well as fwd vehicles as this shaft design is similar in design to many fwd's).

So anyways, my question is this: Where the intermediate shaft mates with the cv shaft....the splines enguage with one another.....ok, at that location, the intermediate shaft HOUSING ends and the spinning shaft can be seen. So, what supports the end of the intermediate shaft within it's HOUSING? I assume the housing snaps into the front differential case.....and the opposite end of the I.S. housing is supported with the frame mounted bracket...........what actually supports the spinning shaft within the housing? Is it a metal shim style bushing or is it a bearing.....

I want to get rid of the clunking noise, but I don't want to replace something unnecessary. The cv axle its self looks good and solid. Boots are intact. Are there any replaceable parts on the intermediate shaft housing? Or maybe this housing is called a differential case extension tube.... idk...

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I start spending money on unnecessary parts. My budget for this repair at this time is $300....I can add more cash to the budget next month, but would like to get this repair done ASAP.

megatone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
megatone

kj_model30-front-axle.jpg
Unread 04-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
megatone

Above....parts number 21, 22 and 23.......what are those items.....23 is a snap ring....is 22 a bearing and is 21 a ring that is pressed into the shaft tube to lock it in place....(snap ring prevents the bearing from going too deep into the tube?

I dont know....maybe I'm completely wrong......I've NEVER owned a Jeep Anything before in my life. I'm just "best guessing" based on what I've seen in other vehicles.
Unread 04-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
kokomo22
2003 KJ Liberty 

Check the Swap Bar it will clunk when going over speed bumps.
OME lift, MOAB Wheels with 235/70/16 BFG AT
kokomo22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
RockRollin
Web Wheeler

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomo22 View Post
Check the Swap Bar it will clunk when going over speed bumps.
WTH is that "swap bar"
"Just Jeepin it real"
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
megatone

What is the Swap Bar

I am totally new to Jeeps.

I did go to a wrecking yard and partially disassembled the intermediate shaft assembly to gain knowledge....here is what I learned in regards to the item parts I previously mentioned above:

Part #21 is the trans fluid seal...looks like any other common trans output shaft seal.

Part #22 is a bearing, it has no inner bearing race, it does have "needle" style bearing rollers in it which rides on the surface of the intermediate shaft. These bearings supports the out side end of the intermediate shaft as it spins the cv shaft.......(Kinda like the way a two piece rwd driveline needs a "carrier bearing" to support it).

Part #23 is a snap ring, it's purpose is to position the depth of the bearing as it (the bearing) is initially installed. It does not retain the bearing or prevent it from moving after installation, it is simply used to make sure th bearing is not installed too deep into the differential axle tube.

Ok, so at this wrecking yard, I bought the pieces related to the cv shaft....my buddy owns the wrecking yard and he sold me the parts @ scrap metal prices, so I ended up getting the intermediate shaft, the shaft housing tube (not sure what it is actually called.....axle tube maybe)....any how I also got the metal bracket that supports the end of the shaft housing to the frame.

NOTE: To remove the axle tube from the differentual I pounded it out with a two and a half pound sledge hammer. At first it wouldn't budge, but after about 5 or 6 really good hits, it started coming out of the differential case. ........I'll post pics in a few,....give other members an idea of what is happening.
Unread 04-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
megatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post
WTH is that "swap bar"
Could he have meant to say "sway bar" rather than swap bar????....Gonna check it out right now.
Unread 04-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
kokomo22
2003 KJ Liberty 

Yes Sway Bar, sorry should re-read it before I post
OME lift, MOAB Wheels with 235/70/16 BFG AT
kokomo22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
RockRollin
Web Wheeler

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Figured it was sway bar, just messing around
I had to change my mid shaft to get the rattle stopped, the nylon bearing was fine. New mid shaft, no rattle
"Just Jeepin it real"
Unread 04-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
megatone

Ok, so here are the parts my buddy sold me for 14 bucks (scrap metal prices).

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
tony-win_20150424_154259.jpg

Unread 04-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
megatone

The odd black shaped piece above is the frame bracket which secures/supports the outside edge of the intermediate shaft tube (housing).

The grey tube (the "T" shaped item) is the housing for the intermediate shaft.

Obviously the lower bar with the splines on each end is the intermediate shaft. (It slid out with the cv axle...I got it seperated from the axle pretty easily). I will post close-up pictures of each item....I hope I get the pic size right.
Unread 04-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
megatone

tony-win_20150424_154414.jpg

tony-win_20150424_154424.jpg

tony-win_20150424_154441.jpg

tony-win_20150424_154447.jpg

tony-win_20150424_154504.jpg

tony-win_20150424_154523.jpg

tony-win_20150424_154533.jpg
Unread 04-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
megatone

The item in the bottom three pictures is the tube that protrudes out of the differential case. It is just pressed into the diff....there was no sealant or gasket or seal of any kind. This is the piece that I used the sledge hammer to bang it out of the differential case. I was not worried about breaking it as I was just dismantling the assembly (on a junk yard Jeep) to learn how it is assembled. (I didn't want to "learn" how the system is assembled on my Jeep just incase something did break.
Unread 04-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
megatone

This is how the parts are (basically) assembled on the vehicle.....actually, the shaft and tube are supposed to point the other way (looking at it from the front of the vehicle.

I'm going to use the odd shaped black bracket because it looks like someone has installed new bushings in it....one of the bushings on that part in my Jeep is ripped....the foward most bushing.

tony-win_20150424_153955.jpg
Unread 04-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #15
RockRollin
Web Wheeler

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

That needle bearing was replaced with a nylon type bearing in the first couple of years of production, not sure exactly when. My 05 has the latter nylon bearing (bushing).
"Just Jeepin it real"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.