front end noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > front end noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
hckrach
2005 KJ Liberty 

front end noise

I have an 05 Liberty Renegade, and have recently experienced a front end noise. When I am driving slowly and turning, like out of a driveway, I hear this squeaking type noise, that I can also hear at slow speeds with the windows down, like when driving over the slightest of bumps, like when pulling in and out of the garage. I experimented a little bit, and hear the noise when I turn the steering wheel, when I am stopped. The noise disappears, somewhat, after driving the Jeep for a little bit.

When looking under the front end, I cannot see anything obvious going on. I checked both tie rod ends, along with the upper and lower ball joints. I do wonder if one of the ball joint grease boots is low, just based on the noise, but since I cannot service them, it would require replacement. I will have my brother help me tomorrow check, so he can turn the wheel, while I look at what is going on, but I just wanted a preliminary check with you guys.

In addition, over the past several weeks, there has been a slight vibration (not a death wobble, just enough to be annoying) at highway speeds. It is in need of an alignment, and was hoping that would correct it, but I now wonder if the vibration is related to the squeaking noise from the front end,

Thanks in advance!!

hckrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
KJRad
2002 KJ Liberty 

i bet its the u-joints on the drive shaft, sounds exactly like what my kj was doing.
KJRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Check sway bar bushings as well , they will squeak over bumps etc

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.