Front End Grinding Sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Front End Grinding Sound

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
CMedford
2006 KJ Liberty 

Front End Grinding Sound

When I put my Liberty in 4high, it grinds/clicks a little. Then last night, in 2wd- it started making the same sound. I tried to move from 2wd-4wd and it got worse...then I put it in 4 low...and almost couldn't move!
Other forums say drive line or CV Joint.
I thought CV Joints would only be a turning issue.
suggestions?

CMedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the intermediate shaft to CV shaft splines are rounded off. I had the same problem and the splines were almost gone. In 2wd the noise was constant, in 4hi it was intermittent. If it is the splines you will need both the intermediate shaft and the CV shaft to fix it.
1992 YJ Sahara- 4.5" RE XD, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35" BFG MT, 8.8 w/Aussie, D30 w/Ten Factory shafts/ Aussie, 4:10 gears, Soild Diff Covers, SYE, CV Drive shaft, OBA, Flowmaster Super 44,, Custom head pipe, Super Chip, Boared out TB, Rock It Intake , Goferit Tie Rod Flip, 99+ intake manifold/Steering pump, custom front/rear bumpers,Hand Throttle, Hurst Shifter, Smitty Built sliders , 6" TJ flairs, Kilby belly up skid, Quadratech 9K winch, ZJ PS cooler. 01 XJ Sport-2" lift, 31x10.50 MT/ 02 Liberty 2" Lift
kirksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
CMedford
2006 KJ Liberty 

Do I go to the part store and ask for the "Intermediate shaft"?? Will they know what I am asking? :P
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Parts stores don't have them
Can find them on EBay though
for the CV go to NAPA and get the re-manufactured ones
When you install the new ones make sure to use grease/anti-seize on them
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMedford
Do I go to the part store and ask for the "Intermediate shaft"?? Will they know what I am asking? :P
I had to order mine. The dealership might have it in stock, but if you google intermediate shaft sights will pop up. I think I paid about $100 for it, but that was about a year and a half ago.
1992 YJ Sahara- 4.5" RE XD, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35" BFG MT, 8.8 w/Aussie, D30 w/Ten Factory shafts/ Aussie, 4:10 gears, Soild Diff Covers, SYE, CV Drive shaft, OBA, Flowmaster Super 44,, Custom head pipe, Super Chip, Boared out TB, Rock It Intake , Goferit Tie Rod Flip, 99+ intake manifold/Steering pump, custom front/rear bumpers,Hand Throttle, Hurst Shifter, Smitty Built sliders , 6" TJ flairs, Kilby belly up skid, Quadratech 9K winch, ZJ PS cooler. 01 XJ Sport-2" lift, 31x10.50 MT/ 02 Liberty 2" Lift
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
CMedford
2006 KJ Liberty 

I bought driver and passenger side CV assembly today.. I will look for Intermediate Shaft. Hope this is the issue...
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMedford View Post
I bought driver and passenger side CV assembly today.. I will look for Intermediate Shaft. Hope this is the issue...
You did get the NAPA re-manned CV's, right?

If not you're going to have problems with vibrations, etc. Before I got on these forums and got "educated" I installed a Cardone re-man on the driver side. Could hardly drive the Jeep. Jumped onto the forum, read through the posts quietly, saw the reason for the bad vibrations and immediately bought a NAPA re-man and installed it. Problem gone.

Replaced the passenger side last week with a CV from NAPA and intermediate shaft from an Amazon seller ad it's golden. Smooth as the day it came from the factory.

I'm admitting to my (stupid) mistake so others won't do the same thing...

"Hello, my name is Bob. And I'm a recovering Cardone re-manned CV installer..."

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I needed mine the local NAPA and their warehouse were out of stock and it would be over a week for a CV to show up. I went with one from advanced auto parts, knowing the risk with the problems I read on the forums. I have put around 40k miles on the CV and no problems.
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
CMedford
2006 KJ Liberty 

so... the NAPA part store closest to my work sold me the wrong parts... !
Thank goodness a "sister" store took care of me. (NAPA- by my house)
I replaced the rear CV and everything is great.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.