Front driveshaft / CV R&R - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Front driveshaft / CV R&R

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
nx13688
2002 KJ Liberty 

Front driveshaft / CV R&R

I have a 2002 Liberty with a front driveshaft CV joint that is going to heck (it makes a lot of noise, and the shaft moves around in it). It is the CV at the transfer case, if that makes a difference. Two questions:
1. How big of a job is it going to be to remove the front driveshaft and replace the CV joint? I have a good set of hand tools, and access to a lift and/or hydraulic press if necessary.
2. If it's not a big deal to remove the shaft, is it OK to run the Lib without it temporarily?
TIA,
Ryan

nx13688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Sartori

Hello

Well if its like the front driveshaft on my 02 Dakota you can't replace the cv joint. You have to buy the whole driveshaft.
Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
nx13688
2002 KJ Liberty 

That really wouldn't surprise me. Any thoughts on running without the driveshaft temporarily? It's my wife's daily driver, so the less downtime, the better.
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
phxtoad
2002 KJ Liberty 

You can take the shafts out fairly simply. There are no retaining clips in the front diff. to deal with - they should slide right out. However, each side is a 'unit' so you can either replace them, or send them to JE Reel for a rebuild. You can definitely run without them, but the front diff will leak. You'll need to duct tape the openings as best you can.

TL
phxtoad.com
phxtoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartori
Hello

Well if its like the front driveshaft on my 02 Dakota you can't replace the cv joint. You have to buy the whole driveshaft.
You're talking different parts, the joint on the driveshaft (between the t-case and the front axle) should be replaceable. I'm thinking it should run around $150 to have it done at a shop.
Unread 11-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
merlinTec

Hi
No can’t be repaired it comes as a new shaft.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 11-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
jeepjeepster

You can run without the front shaft without loosing fluid. Few bolts and it comes out.

Best to get a JE reel driveshaft that uses Ujoints. Check out Lostkjs for more on that..
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Sartori

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster
You can run without the front shaft without loosing fluid. Few bolts and it comes out.

Best to get a JE reel driveshaft that uses Ujoints. Check out Lostkjs for more on that..
Thats what I wound up doing on my Dakota, I got a custom shaft made with the double cardon joint back at the transfer case. I got tired of buying shafts....
Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
nx13688
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for all the input. I let the dealership look at it and they quoted me almost $700 to replace it. I said no thanks, and had them just remove it for the time being. I can find a replacement and torque down 12 little bolts for a whole lot less than that! They were also going to "save" me $40 if I let them replace my air filter and license plate light at the same time. How generous!
Unread 10-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
GSXRGUY
2002 KJ Liberty 

www.cvrestoration.com

I just found these, So you can now replace the front and rear CV joints on the front prop shaft
GSXRGUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
dlundgren

Jeep Liberty KJ Front Drive Shaft Removal

Hi all! Aftr plenty of searches for over an hour, I cannot believe no else had this posted. I am an old school CJ/YJ trail fix guy but my family carry all is an 03 Liberty.

Noticed all the common sounds of the front drive shaft going out half way home from Christmas leave..900+ miles total right at 0'dark 30.

Now I have removed the (6) 8mm bolts at the tcase end of the drive shaft and also the (6) 8mm bolts at the axle end.

The axl end I have broke loose the rust/seized connection between the drive shaft and the yoke but I am not having the same luck at the tcase end.

I need to know if anyone else who has done this required any special tool for the tcase end to pry apart or do I just do the good old fashioned heave ho until she gives with a hammer.

I am on the road with the wife and kids, with very limited tool access.

I also thought about the use force against force by tightening a couple of bolts of front again since it is free and engage 4LO to crack it loose at the tcase. Just started getting cold and I am not as young and daring as the old days while on holiday.

Any help would be very grateful.

Happy Holidays!
dlundgren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Damon1122

Here's a website that does a spicer conversion on the front drive shafts - pretty reasonable

All Drive Lines
Damon1122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i called a local reputable driveshaft shop. he told me he can do whatever i would like, but he recomended against converting to u joints and told me the cv parts he can get for it were only lasting a year and he would rather not do it. he strongly recomended buying brand new O.E. shaft.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Holy thread resurrection batman!!!

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
Damon1122

The reason there shafts dont last is because they use CHEAP parts, these shafts are build with spicer solid cross u-joints (these are maintence free you never have to grease them and the grease never leaks out) other shops use greaseable joints and people dont grease them.
Damon1122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.