front driveshaft boot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > front driveshaft boot

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
jeepdaddy65
2005 KJ Liberty 

front driveshaft boot

I noticed the the front driveshaft boot on my 05 Renegade is torn/ cracked where it goes into the transfer case. Is this caused by the heat from the exhaust. Can I replace just the boot, it doesn't look like there was grease in there like a CV joint, just wondering what would happen if I let it go without repair. Thanks

jeepdaddy65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Once all of the grease is out of the joint it will start clicking and at some point after that come apart.

You can replace just the boot but since the axle more than likely has to be removed to do it it makes more sense just to replace the whole half shaft since you don't know the condition of the joint and the half shaft is only $80 so it's not a huge expense. I'm not sure on the Liberty's but I know I can do a half shaft on my Dakota in about a half hour.
Unread 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
jeepjeepster

You cannot buy just the boot on the front driveshaft. You could but they dont sell them separate.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
jeepdaddy65
2005 KJ Liberty 

The new front axel is around $300 or more. I was wondering if I could put a universal boot on the axel where it comes out of the transfer case, fill it with grease and let it go. I have no clicking or grinding noises, as of now the axel seems to be fine. I don't want to replace it yet as the cost is to much right now. What do you guys think? thanks for the help
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
jeepdaddy65
2005 KJ Liberty 

I am sorry I mis stated. I meen the front drive shaft not the axel. The boots and cv joints on the axel are good. Its the front drive shaft boot. Thanks
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
COLORADO
2007 JK Wrangler 

My boot was also torn and the front driveshaft rusted thru and came apart. It cost me $600 to have the dealer replace the front shaft
COLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.