Front Drive Shaft Stuck Rear CV Joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Front Drive Shaft Stuck Rear CV Joint

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Bill870

Front Drive Shaft Stuck Rear CV Joint

I had the rear CV joint replaced two years ago and it has failed again. I did not know it till a snow storm hit in December and since it has been warm the last few days I crawled under, saw the problem and was going to replace it.
I removed the bolts and got the drive shaft out.
Front CV joint was seized and upon removing Drive Shaft saw the transfer case side drive shaft threads were worn down. I just ordered a whole new drive shaft.
The problem is the front CV Joint will not come out from the transfer case (puck?). It is frozen in there. I used a come along attached to drive shaft to remove the shaft and front cv joint. The rear one is not moving. I mean not moving as in I can pull the jeep uphill with the come along attached to the rear cv joint. I don't want to yank or beat it as it is hooked to the transfer case.
All the videos I have watched on replacing the front drive shaft have the shaft popping out easily or just requiring a few taps with a hammer.
Has anyone else had this problem?
2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 134k
Thanks

Bill870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

You kind of lost me here, you said you removed the bolts and got the driveshaft out, then that you saw the threads were worn on the tcase side(?), and you can't get it out from the t-case? Unless someone is getting something I'm not, can ya back up, start over, and explain what is going on? Which driveshaft, front or rear? Is the thing on the ground or not? If it isn't, is it stuck on the t-case or the front diff if the front driveshaft, or the rear diff or t-case if the rear driveshaft? Pics always help.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes I'm really LOST
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Bill870

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
You kind of lost me here, you said you removed the bolts and got the driveshaft out, then that you saw the threads were worn on the tcase side(?), and you can't get it out from the t-case? Unless someone is getting something I'm not, can ya back up, start over, and explain what is going on? Which driveshaft, front or rear? Is the thing on the ground or not? If it isn't, is it stuck on the t-case or the front diff if the front driveshaft, or the rear diff or t-case if the rear driveshaft? Pics always help.
I was just going to replace the rear cv joint of the front drive shaft but once I got the jeep jacked up and removed the front drive shaft I found the splines, grooves, threads (don't know what they are called) of the drive shaft were ground down. So I need the whole front drive shaft replaced.
The burnt out rear cv joint going into the transfer case is stuck into the connection that connects it to the transfer case.

Starting at the front of the jeep you have front axle connecting to the front diff. Front cv joint connecting to front drive shaft. Rear cv joint going into transfer case.

Front drive shaft is out but the rear cv joint is really stuck where it connects to the transfer case.
Parts guy told me today to get a metal pipe and hammer and beat it loose?
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Mine was stuck in there real good recently. Probably the first time it was removed and mines an 02. Parts guy is right.

I kept hitting it with a hammer until it finally popped. Started sort of gentle and kept increasing intensity. Once the bolts are out there is nothing but rust holding it in. Since you aren't going to reuse any of it, go ahead and vent some frustration on it.
02blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Now that makes a little more sense. As the parts guy said, use a hammer and a chisel to put force to it. Make sure all the bolts are out obviously.
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Bill870

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blue View Post
Mine was stuck in there real good recently. Probably the first time it was removed and mines an 02. Parts guy is right.

I kept hitting it with a hammer until it finally popped. Started sort of gentle and kept increasing intensity. Once the bolts are out there is nothing but rust holding it in. Since you aren't going to reuse any of it, go ahead and vent some frustration on it.
Thanks everyone, I will get more aggressive on removing it. In the videos I watched most people just yanked them out or after a couple of taps with a hammer got them out.
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Most times they yank out. I've seen a couple that I had to convince they really needed to come out.
Unread 02-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Bill870

Working

Well I feel like a dumb ***. With temperatures in the 50s and bright sun I was able to see that at the back of each front cv joint connection there are holes allowing you to use a punch to remove the joints. I still had to beat the hell out of the front rear cv joint to remove it.
New drive shaft slipped right in and works like a charm just in time for more snow.
Still need to replace rear upper control arm and two upper and one lower ball joints. Will replace rear upper control arm myself and leave the ball joints to a mechanic.
I also got a recall notice in the mail for the gas tank.

Tags
front drive shaft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.