Front Drive Shaft Question - Jeep Liberty 2003 Limited 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Front Drive Shaft Question - Jeep Liberty 2003 Limited 4wd

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
JeepLiberty2003
2003 KJ Liberty 

Front Drive Shaft Question - Jeep Liberty 2003 Limited 4wd

I recently took my Jeep to a body shop and they told me my front drive shaft was cracked and needs to be replaced. The reason why I went was because I heard a turning noise coming from underneath my Jeep (I do not know much about cars).

First Question. I was wondering if it was possible to remove the front drive shaft from the Jeep and still drive in 2wd with no problem?

(The estimate I was given was around $750 with parts and labor, and there is no way I can afford that right now.)

Second Question. If my front drive shaft goes from cracked to broken, what will happen to my Jeep? Will it cost even more to fix, what else can go wrong or break?

(Reason why I ask is I work 60 hours a week and do not know how soon I will be able to take my car to the shop again, I live 3 miles from work but I am scared it will break at any moment!)

Thank you so much for any help you can give, this is really stressing me out!

JeepLiberty2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yes you can run without the front driveshaft,do not shift the t-case into full time 4wd(if you have it) as you will go nowhere,and of course you will lose 4wd.

If the front driveshaft breaks while driving it can break the t-case,trans,front diff,lots of body damage,and take alot of wiring along with it.Most likely will break all that I listed and then some,talking maybe $5000+ in damage(seen it before).
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
JeepLiberty2003
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thank you very much for the reply.

So I can just go to the body shop and ask them to remove the front drive shaft and put it in the back of my jeep, and with me not touching my 4wd (I have full and part time 4wd, I will not touch both), and I'm good to go?

(At least until winter, when the snow starts, and I will have it replaced)
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My suggestion would be to find a mechanically inclined friend and have them remove it. Then locate a local drive shaft shop and have them balance the shaft for you ($60-$100). The drive shaft should only be a few bolts on each side.

You will save a ton of money that way.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
JeepLiberty2003
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
My suggestion would be to find a mechanically inclined friend and have them remove it. Then locate a local drive shaft shop and have them balance the shaft for you ($60-$100). The drive shaft should only be a few bolts on each side.

You will save a ton of money that way.
The thing is I just moved from Michigan to Nebraska for a new job, and I know absolutely nobody here. Should I just find a drive shaft shop and see what they can do for me? How much do you think they would charge to have it removed, and what does balancing the shaft mean?
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I just reread your first post. Balancing does what it sounds like, it balances the shaft. That won't help you. They should still be able to put a shaft in for less than the quoted price. That is ridiculous. The driveshaft should take no more than an hour since it is only a couple bolts to remove and put back in. It took me literally 3 minutes to put the drive shaft back in my dad's truck, and I spent time playing with it because I was bored.

Good luck with the new job, and I hope the new shop works better for you. If you had any ambition and mechanical knowledge (how to turn a bolt), I would say get under there and pop it out yourself.

If you look at this pic, you will see some bolts, and that it is as simple as removing those bolts:

I am looking up the driveshaft right now for you... hold on.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so those Drive shafts are oddly more expensive than I expected: This is the cheapest I could find for a used one:

Front Drive Shaft
Jeep Liberty3.7,4x4,FRONT DRIVE SHAFT 9M4027$175

New is like $400 so the $750 doesn't sound like that big of a rip off (except for the slighly long estimation for time. At $100/hour, that is saying it would take 3.5 hours to install a drive shaft. It should take 30 minutes to put it on a lift and swap it out).
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
JeepLiberty2003
2003 KJ Liberty 

This is the quote they gave me:

Front Drive Shaft: $555.98
Propeller Shaft - Removal & Installation - 4WD - Front: $94:87
Shop Supplies and Enviro Fee: $19.50

Total: $670.35

The extra $28.46 was from just looking at it that I already paid.

Tax: $38.92

Which totals: $737.73

What I would really like to do is just take out the front drive shaft, if possible, and replace it later once I get enough money from my new job. So, is it 100% possible to drive in 2wd at all times until I do that, with the front drive shaft removed, with no problems?

Thank you again for your time and answers, you have no idea how much I appreciate the input.
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep... there are no issues with removing the drive shaft. There are mounted with flanges, so you don't have to worry about leaking any fluids. Some older jeeps disconnected the drive shaft as an attempt to save gas. The system was ok, but it was later eliminated. What it did basically is what you are trying to do. You won't have to worry about it till you get closer to snow season again. Looks like they are going to charge you about $50 to take it out. I guess that isn't so bad, but it isn't great. It is cheaper than doing all of the work at once, or having it destroy stuff.
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

contact Eric at Automotive Parts Unlimited ericautoparts@aol.com, 800-270-5224 in New Jersey around 200 bucks for a new shaft takes ten minutes to install if that long

and of course the above picture is not of a KJ so it looks different than that 6 bolts per end
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
JeepLiberty2003
2003 KJ Liberty 

Alright sounds great that is exactly what I'm trying to do right now: Get the front drive shaft removed with little cost, and later have a new/used drive shaft installed. Maybe even in the mean time, I can shop around for a good price on a drive shaft, and learn to install one on my own. Thank you LuckRider, you just saved me $700 for the meantime~!
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #12
JeepLiberty2003
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
contact Eric at Automotive Parts Unlimited ericautoparts@aol.com, 800-270-5224 in New Jersey around 200 bucks for a new shaft takes ten minutes to install if that long

and of course the above picture is not of a KJ so it looks different than that 6 bolts per end
I will be contacting him in the near future to see what I can get in terms of a new/used drive shaft. Thank you for the information.
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I wouldn't even try used, have seen several that people got used and they were as bad as what they had, just go with new or rebuilt
Eric can fix you up pretty quick most times
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
JeepLiberty2003
2003 KJ Liberty 

$200 for a new shaft, how much is shipping?
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #15
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

It was 200 and some can't remember for sure, shipping was reasonable, have the info out in the garage not in here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.