Front Drive Shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Front Drive Shaft

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Front Drive Shaft

Yes, I already used the search function but I couldn't find anything less than 4 years old. Hoping maybe something has changed as far as prices go.

The joints on my front drive shaft are completely shot and need to be replaced. Mopar said the part only comes as one piece for $625. The install I know I can do on my own as it seems to be really straight forward.

My question is: Should I be replacing the entire shaft, or just the joints? And either way, should I go mopar or aftermarket? Is $625 sound right for the mopar complete shaft?

Thank You

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Alanamarie84

I'm having the same issue. Did you have a problem with your 4wl drive at all? My jeep was stuck in 4wl, shifted out of 4wl yet was still in, drove 10 feet and heard a thunk, came out of 4wl as I was driving and now the drive shaft is broke.
Alanamarie84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yea, the 4wd wasnt shifting out as well. I typically just drop the transmission into neutral and let it coast and it would come out. I was reading it can be caused by the vibrations of the loose drive shaft? Not really sure though.

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Worked for me:

https://www.driveshaftparts.com/cv-j...-cv-joint-kit/

They sell the front diff joint too.
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
92JEEPWRANGLERY
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, worked for me too. My daughters 02 KJ sounded like it was coming apart at the seams on her way home from the mall. The joint at the transfer case was toast. A quick order from Driveshaftparts.com, 2 days shipping, about an hour later, it was all good.
I just put one on my wife's WK after noticing the boot was gone BEFORE it started having problems. Driveshaftparts.com to the rescue again! Even on sale!
92JEEPWRANGLERY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

So the dealership parts department is convinced the entire shaft needs to be replaced as the bearing can't be separated from the shaft on my model?

Then when I look online, every other year is listed but mine for the part.

I have a 2002 kj renegade. All the websites seem to list 03 and later renegades. But not the 02. Any ideas?

Unread 02-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
USPLiberty

Can you post a couple pictures? I rebuilt the rear CV joint shaft last year, I'll compare the pics to mine. The only thing that I could think of that would prevent a rebuild is if the splines are all chewed up. Rebuilding the CVs is not that hard. Getting the shaft in and out is the difficult part , "tight space".
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
04liberty04

I bought a new complete front drive shaft on ebay for 225.
04liberty04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
92JEEPWRANGLERY
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeepkj617, I really don't think your Renegade driveshaft would be any different than a Sport or a Limited. www.driveshaftparts.com part number ME807 is what fit my 02 KJ AND my 05 WK. Easy fix except for getting the driveshaft out. I had to take the exhaust downpipe clamp loose to get it out. No problem to get the old CV joint off the shaft. Be sure to inspect the splines on the shaft and clean them up. Reinstall and go!
92JEEPWRANGLERY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

Dorman part number 932-301 is the rear joint on the front shaft. How hard is it to rebuild? I am working on my brother-in-law's 03 liberty. I have the joint and the directions are very simple. I know from experience just because the directions are simple doesn't make the process simple.
johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1mj View Post
Dorman part number 932-301 is the rear joint on the front shaft. How hard is it to rebuild? I am working on my brother-in-law's 03 liberty. I have the joint and the directions are very simple. I know from experience just because the directions are simple doesn't make the process simple.
Takes longer to remove the driveshaft than it does to change out the head and repack everything
yes its easy to do
Unread 03-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sorry I haven't been on at all. Midterms have been killing me.

I got under there and jacked it up to get a better view and it looks like the shaft has taken a beating and is also a bit bent. Also the front and rear boots are gone and the joints are pretty much destroyed. I took it out for now and covered the mounts on both sides so I could drive it without the terrible noise coming from the joints.

I think I might just replace the entire shaft as both bearings look terrible and I've never had good luck with after market parts.

That brings me to my next issue. The VIN check says part number 52111597AA should be used. But I can't seem to find a difference between 52111597AA, 52111594AA, and 52111591AA except for the price. $625, $507 and $382 respectively.

Each says it is compatible with the manual and automatic transmission on the 4WD 3.7 L v6 gas engine I have.

http://www.mopar.com/jeep/liberty/20.../696/146/3874/

Anyone have any idea why I would need to spend $625 on a new shaft vs $382 on what appears to be the exact same shaft?

Unread 03-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

There are several different lengths ... measure weld to weld to find the length you need first then go from there.
Unread 03-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ok, if they're different sizes and the VIN specific is the expensive one. I'm assuming that would be it. I just couldn't figure out the difference.

Thank You

Unread 03-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
Frozentoze
2002 KJ Liberty 

I had a 2002 kj renegade with the same problem. I just traded her in. But i have my front driveshaft still in the garage- just listed it with all my other KJ leftovers on Houston craigslist.

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4358335523.html

Mine was the manual transmission, which has a different length of shaft than the auto. Check rockauto, you can find a refurb one for $450.

Mine has a shot rear cv joint. I kept the 8mm bolts and washers

Install is easy - YouTube video is available and helpful.
Frozentoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
drive , front , kj , liberty , shaft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.