Front axle for 2003 liberty interchangeable with what other jeeps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Front axle for 2003 liberty interchangeable with what other jeeps?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
rexstpierre

Front axle for 2003 liberty interchangeable with what other jeeps?

Morning guys,

My gf just bought a 2003 jeep liberty v6 4x4 with a 42le tranny. The front driveshaft on it is finished. I have two Kenny-u-pulls near my house. They have a bunch of cars in their yard and I can pull the part myself for dirt cheap. Is her front driveshaft the same as other vehicles? Liberties tend to be rare in these yard cause 2002 is kinda new for them. I was hoping I could just pull it out of something else and not have to wait for a liberty to pop up.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by rexstpierre; 05-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: mistakes
rexstpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Is the front drive shaft bent or something? If it is just the joints gone bad, replace those - grease em' and replace the boot.

You shouldn't need an entire shaft. Just a thought.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post
Is the front drive shaft bent or something? If it is just the joints gone bad, replace those - grease em' and replace the boot.

You shouldn't need an entire shaft. Just a thought.
X2

The rear CV joint on the driveshaft commonly goes bad as the boot gets torn and grit destroys the joint.

Pick up the CV joint at DriveshaftParts.com - it's only $55 and takes about 45 minutes to replace.

Lot's cheaper than a new driveshaft.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
rexstpierre

It's the front joint that has gone bad....I checked and I think I can buy a rebuild kit for 110$ on ebay. I asked around and parts stores will charge me 375$ to rebuild it.

Yeah so there is a loose in the front joint of the drive shaft. That joint is out in the open.
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

driveshaftparts have that kit as well
they have excellent service
You can run without the front driveshaft
so I'd pop it out and order one
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
rexstpierre

It's already out, I took it out when I saw the loose the front joint... I'll check out the website.
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexstpierre View Post
It's the front joint that has gone bad....I checked and I think I can buy a rebuild kit for 110$ on ebay. I asked around and parts stores will charge me 375$ to rebuild it.

Yeah so there is a loose in the front joint of the drive shaft. That joint is out in the open.
Funny - the front CV hangs down there in all the crud but the rear joint is the one that usually goes bad. The boot catches the road junk that comes flying off the front wheels and can't handle it.

DriveshaftParts.com has the rear one for $55 and the front CV for $85.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.