Fromt control arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Fromt control arms

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
spritchard

Fromt control arms

My wheels are leaning out at the bottom. I jack the car up and can find no significant play anywhere. Should I just replace all of the bushings on all of the control arms?

spritchard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
grenade187
2002 KJ Liberty 

What year is the jeep, how many miles, etc. Need more info.

Based on what you've said, if there's no play your bushings are probably okay. It is most likely due to your front shocks sagging, these trucks are known for that happening eventually. I'd recommend replacing the front coilovers. If you aren't able to do it soon, get your alignment fixed (this will straighten out the front wheels) otherwise you will wear your tires unevenly.

Inspect your bushings, I just replaced all of mine in the lower control arms - pain in the @$$. The only ones that were really bad were the lower clevis bushing - when the jeep was sitting on the ground, you could see the bolt wasn't centered in the bushing anymore, it was fairly pounded out - unfortunately, it's also the more difficult one to replace. Most people just recommend replacing the lower control arms as you can buy them as an assembly with bushings already installed. But then you're looking at $300 per side at least, as apposed to $150 for all the bushings (that's the high quality MOOG bushings, too.) - but it is alot more work pressing the bushings out. As far as the upper control arms, not worth replacing just the bushings, I'd recommend replacing the whole control arms with the JBA aftermarket ones - they come with new bushings, replaceable MOOG balljoints, and they correct a problem with the ball joint position on the factory arms. For the price, you can't go wrong. Check them out here. It doesn't sounds like bushings are your problem, though.
grenade187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
spritchard

Sorry, lol, it's an 06 4wd with 185000 miles. I also failed to mention that there is a thump when I hit bumps. When I lower the car from the jack there's also a thump when I back up the first time
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Your springs are shot at that many miles
bet you're sitting an inch lower at least than new
Measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the front flare and let us know what it is
But I'd bet you're needing all new springs and shocks all the way around

also front shocks do not sag, springs sag
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
spritchard

Eighteen inches on the front and eighteen and a half on the rear.
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Over an inch of sag, front coils are more than likely stacking and causing noise over bumps etc
New suspension is the only way to fix it
Can replace with stock , but for about the same price you can upgrade to better springs and shocks
Check jeepinbyal for OME or Ironman kits

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.