Frame needs oiling...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Frame needs oiling...?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
BeccaS
2004 KJ Liberty 

Frame needs oiling...?

I have another thread regarding the transmission, but, it appears my clutch is gone. So, it is going to be sitting for a few months til I can replace it. In the meantime, I am going to do other repairs. Last year, when I had it inspected, the mechanic beat the underneath of it with a metal pole, and, yes, pieces of rust fell. He told me if I did not get a coat of oil under it, it would not pass again. It has 115,000 miles, and, living in Maine, all of our cars get chewed up by the road salt. My question is...how do you oil it and what do you use??

BeccaS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaS
I have another thread regarding the transmission, but, it appears my clutch is gone. So, it is going to be sitting for a few months til I can replace it. In the meantime, I am going to do other repairs. Last year, when I had it inspected, the mechanic beat the underneath of it with a metal pole, and, yes, pieces of rust fell. He told me if I did not get a coat of oil under it, it would not pass again. It has 115,000 miles, and, living in Maine, all of our cars get chewed up by the road salt. My question is...how do you oil it and what do you use??
Poor man's undercoating...
Liberally apply motor oil everywhere under there and drive down a dusty road.
Not saying I would do it or it should be done though.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Jeeppowered
2002 KJ Liberty 

One place you might want to check out is eastwood.com they have a full line of rust control products, don't know what your budget is but POR 15 is good stuff just very pricey, when I lived in Bangor I got my 65 Scout to pass with plexiglass floor boards and fiber glass, took it to a country mechanic I guess you would call him he looked at the floor boards said they look tight had me run through a brake test lights and turn signals and gave me a sticker, the first one failed it he looked in the wheel well said the gap between the frame and body was a rust hole, unless a lot has changed there if its mechanically sound with no rust holes where fumes can get into the passenger compartment you should be able to get it to pass.
Jeeppowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
BeccaS
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thank you. All we have for inspection stations around here are so particular (as they should be I suppose) As it is I am worried they aren't going to pass my car today with a busted fog light. I don't know if getting a coat under it will save it now, or help me out. But, I suppose it can't hurt, and if it's just going to be sitting there, might as well do something to it.
BeccaS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaS View Post
Thank you. All we have for inspection stations around here are so particular (as they should be I suppose) As it is I am worried they aren't going to pass my car today with a busted fog light. I don't know if getting a coat under it will save it now, or help me out. But, I suppose it can't hurt, and if it's just going to be sitting there, might as well do something to it.
My home state does not use salt, but neighboring states do,and requires all new vehicles sold to be undercoated before leaving the dealership.

Best defense is to wash the undercarriage at least 2 times a month regardless of the weather. #1 cause of rusted undercarriage is neglect and can easily be prevented.
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

tjk, i wash my undercarriage at twice a month, and i can tell you i still have rust. no way to prevent it. esp with that brine the use in the north east now.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
tjk, i wash my undercarriage at twice a month, and i can tell you i still have rust. no way to prevent it. esp with that brine the use in the north east now.
I was mine weekly(regardless of weather,every sunday) and zero rust in 12 years and my KJ has sat in 3 states that use varying methods of de-icing from sand,salt,and chloride solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.