Four Wheel Drive - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
agreen1490
2005 KJ Liberty 

Four Wheel Drive

I just got an 05 Jeep Liberty. It's a renegade. I had a cherokee and the 4WD was really simple with that. I knew that I put it into full time when I was driving in the snow. Part time (I was told) was just in case I got stuck in the snow. (Mine only had 4 options--2WD, 4WD Full Time, 4WD Part time, and Neutral)

My Liberty has 2, 4 Hi, N, and 4 Lo. I've gotten so far that I put it in Hi during the snow storm that I was driving in, but it worried me because it automatically said "part time" and I have NO idea if, when, or how to make it full time. I just don't want to mess it up and damage my car. We bought it used from a dealer and it didn't come with an owner's manuel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

You won't be able to. Your Cherokee was equipped with the Selec-Trac 4x4 system which gives you the added option of Full-Time 4WD. Your new Liberty came equipped with the Command-Trac 4x4 system which, unfortunately, does not have the option for Full-Time 4WD. Sorry Bro.

As for the owner's manual, did you check in the hidden owner's manual cubby in the glovebox? When you open the glovebox, there is a little cubby hole just below the latch. If there is nothing there then check online for an owner's manual or order one up from your local Jeep dealership.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi QDII
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
post #3 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM
TwoBobsKJ

2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen1490 View Post
I just got an 05 Jeep Liberty. It's a renegade. I had a cherokee and the 4WD was really simple with that. I knew that I put it into full time when I was driving in the snow. Part time (I was told) was just in case I got stuck in the snow. (Mine only had 4 options--2WD, 4WD Full Time, 4WD Part time, and Neutral)

My Liberty has 2, 4 Hi, N, and 4 Lo. I've gotten so far that I put it in Hi during the snow storm that I was driving in, but it worried me because it automatically said "part time" and I have NO idea if, when, or how to make it full time. I just don't want to mess it up and damage my car. We bought it used from a dealer and it didn't come with an owner's manuel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As stated above you have a Part Time transfer case - only put your T-case in 4WD on slippery surfaces to avoid damage (wet roads don't count as a slippery surface.)

I'll bet you a dollar you have an owner's manual Open your glovebox; there is a slot at the top where the manual lives. You're not alone if you missed it...

Bob

2003 Renegade, Black
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt XRC 9500lb Winch, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Custom BoulderBars, JBA Front Coilovers, OME 948 rear, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms, Moabs with Goodyear Duratracs 265/70-16

Tags
4wd , snow driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.