Four Wheel Drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Four Wheel Drive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
agreen1490
2005 KJ Liberty 

Four Wheel Drive

I just got an 05 Jeep Liberty. It's a renegade. I had a cherokee and the 4WD was really simple with that. I knew that I put it into full time when I was driving in the snow. Part time (I was told) was just in case I got stuck in the snow. (Mine only had 4 options--2WD, 4WD Full Time, 4WD Part time, and Neutral)

My Liberty has 2, 4 Hi, N, and 4 Lo. I've gotten so far that I put it in Hi during the snow storm that I was driving in, but it worried me because it automatically said "part time" and I have NO idea if, when, or how to make it full time. I just don't want to mess it up and damage my car. We bought it used from a dealer and it didn't come with an owner's manuel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

agreen1490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

You won't be able to. Your Cherokee was equipped with the Selec-Trac 4x4 system which gives you the added option of Full-Time 4WD. Your new Liberty came equipped with the Command-Trac 4x4 system which, unfortunately, does not have the option for Full-Time 4WD. Sorry Bro.

As for the owner's manual, did you check in the hidden owner's manual cubby in the glovebox? When you open the glovebox, there is a little cubby hole just below the latch. If there is nothing there then check online for an owner's manual or order one up from your local Jeep dealership.
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen1490 View Post
I just got an 05 Jeep Liberty. It's a renegade. I had a cherokee and the 4WD was really simple with that. I knew that I put it into full time when I was driving in the snow. Part time (I was told) was just in case I got stuck in the snow. (Mine only had 4 options--2WD, 4WD Full Time, 4WD Part time, and Neutral)

My Liberty has 2, 4 Hi, N, and 4 Lo. I've gotten so far that I put it in Hi during the snow storm that I was driving in, but it worried me because it automatically said "part time" and I have NO idea if, when, or how to make it full time. I just don't want to mess it up and damage my car. We bought it used from a dealer and it didn't come with an owner's manuel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As stated above you have a Part Time transfer case - only put your T-case in 4WD on slippery surfaces to avoid damage (wet roads don't count as a slippery surface.)

I'll bet you a dollar you have an owner's manual Open your glovebox; there is a slot at the top where the manual lives. You're not alone if you missed it...

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.