Four Wheel Drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Four Wheel Drive

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
agreen1490
2005 KJ Liberty 

Four Wheel Drive

I just got an 05 Jeep Liberty. It's a renegade. I had a cherokee and the 4WD was really simple with that. I knew that I put it into full time when I was driving in the snow. Part time (I was told) was just in case I got stuck in the snow. (Mine only had 4 options--2WD, 4WD Full Time, 4WD Part time, and Neutral)

My Liberty has 2, 4 Hi, N, and 4 Lo. I've gotten so far that I put it in Hi during the snow storm that I was driving in, but it worried me because it automatically said "part time" and I have NO idea if, when, or how to make it full time. I just don't want to mess it up and damage my car. We bought it used from a dealer and it didn't come with an owner's manuel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

agreen1490 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

You won't be able to. Your Cherokee was equipped with the Selec-Trac 4x4 system which gives you the added option of Full-Time 4WD. Your new Liberty came equipped with the Command-Trac 4x4 system which, unfortunately, does not have the option for Full-Time 4WD. Sorry Bro.

As for the owner's manual, did you check in the hidden owner's manual cubby in the glovebox? When you open the glovebox, there is a little cubby hole just below the latch. If there is nothing there then check online for an owner's manual or order one up from your local Jeep dealership.
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen1490 View Post
I just got an 05 Jeep Liberty. It's a renegade. I had a cherokee and the 4WD was really simple with that. I knew that I put it into full time when I was driving in the snow. Part time (I was told) was just in case I got stuck in the snow. (Mine only had 4 options--2WD, 4WD Full Time, 4WD Part time, and Neutral)

My Liberty has 2, 4 Hi, N, and 4 Lo. I've gotten so far that I put it in Hi during the snow storm that I was driving in, but it worried me because it automatically said "part time" and I have NO idea if, when, or how to make it full time. I just don't want to mess it up and damage my car. We bought it used from a dealer and it didn't come with an owner's manuel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As stated above you have a Part Time transfer case - only put your T-case in 4WD on slippery surfaces to avoid damage (wet roads don't count as a slippery surface.)

I'll bet you a dollar you have an owner's manual Open your glovebox; there is a slot at the top where the manual lives. You're not alone if you missed it...

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4wd , snow driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.