Fluid changes??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-15-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
noserider123
2005 KJ Liberty 

Fluid changes???

Guys

I bought the Liberty 3 years ago with 100k on the clock. It now has 140K. I have no history of fluid changes and would like to know the following.

1) Is it a good idea (safe) to drop the pan and change the tranny filter and fluid.

2 Should I change the transfer case fluid. I'm thinking a definite yes.

3) What about rear end and differentials?

We occasionally tow the liberty behind the motorhome. I have noticed when I shift the transfer case to neutral and then back to 2wd when finished towing there is some drag in the drive train that goes away after a couple miles or so. What would cause that??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 PM
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider123 View Post
Guys

I bought the Liberty 3 years ago with 100k on the clock. It now has 140K. I have no history of fluid changes and would like to know the following.

1) Is it a good idea (safe) to drop the pan and change the tranny filter and fluid.

2 Should I change the transfer case fluid. I'm thinking a definite yes.

3) What about rear end and differentials?

We occasionally tow the liberty behind the motorhome. I have noticed when I shift the transfer case to neutral and then back to 2wd when finished towing there is some drag in the drive train that goes away after a couple miles or so. What would cause that??
Always keep up with all your fluid changes on these.. Including trans pan and filter, the 42rle has 1 filter inside the pan the 45rfe has 2 one inside and one cylindrical one outside. This is pretty easy to do, just be sure to clean the mating surfaces very well before you apply rtv sealant. Refer to service manual for fluid change intervals, ' capacities and types. Your vehicle will thank you. Also Wikipedia has all fluid info
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
noserider123
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyordeath8 View Post
Always keep up with all your fluid changes on these.. Including trans pan and filter, the 42rle has 1 filter inside the pan the 45rfe has 2 one inside and one cylindrical one outside. This is pretty easy to do, just be sure to clean the mating surfaces very well before you apply rtv sealant. Refer to service manual for fluid change intervals, ' capacities and types. Your vehicle will thank you. Also Wikipedia has all fluid info
Thanks for the reply. Any ideas on what can cause the drive trane to feel like it's dragging after shifting the transfer case from neutral back to 2WD. It eventually corrects itself after driving a bit. Almost feels like something is dragging. I think once when it did this I shifted to neutral it seemed like neutral was hanging up a bit also.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 AM
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty 

What you mean by dragging?

From 4 low you should be moving slightly ( 1-2 mph) put the transmission in neutral then quickly shift t case into 4 hi or 2 wheel drive (depending on Your t case I only know 42rle) skipping right past the neutral setting on the tcase. I think the full time t case can drive on pavement in 4 wheel but my tcase definitely cannot
post #5 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 AM
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty 

Oh I read your post again, now I get what you mean. Change the tcase fluid, tranny too. Its probably time, id make double sure the tcase is definitely in neutral when you tow it like that, also change front and rear diff oil

And never never put the transmission in park with the tcase in neutral EVER
post #6 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
noserider123
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Oh I read your post again, now I get what you mean. Change the tcase fluid, tranny too. Its probably time, id make double sure the tcase is definitely in neutral when you tow it like that, also change front and rear diff oil

And never never put the transmission in park with the tcase in neutral EVER
Yeah planning on changing all the fluids this week. Hoping that symptom of something binding/hanging goes away. I think you meant to say never put the transmission in park with the tcase in neutral while the engine is RUNNING. I always make sure my transfer case is in neutral before towing. Once the tranny is in park I roll the car to make sure. Thanks again.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 PM
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty 

Its your jeep, but if you put the transmission in park with the t case in neutral you've just multiplied your chances of starting the engine that way
post #8 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
noserider123
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Its your jeep, but if you put the transmission in park with the t case in neutral you've just multiplied your chances of starting the engine that way
Well can't argue with that. On the other hand towing it in park with the tcase in neutral is the factory approved towing procedure. To not do it this way will burn up your tranny or so I'm told anyway. I always keep the manual on hand and follow the procedure for recreational towing.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 PM
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty 

Durn, good to know, not that I ever plan to tow mine but ya, knowledge is good
post #10 of 11 Old 06-24-2017, 03:34 PM
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

I change the differentials and transfer case fluids every 15K (about once a year). The only reason I don't do my own transmission is I don't have the room to do it.
Quick tip on the transfer case... before you drain it, make sure you can get the fill plug out first. They're notorious for being over-tightened at the factory and being very difficult to remove the first time. You don't want to have drained the transfer case and find out you can't refill it.
The rear diff cover needs to come off to change the fluid. Advance Auto Parts sells a Fel-Pro gasket for it. Some people say to RTV it the cover, but the gasket is simpler.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-24-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
noserider123
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromCO View Post
I change the differentials and transfer case fluids every 15K (about once a year). The only reason I don't do my own transmission is I don't have the room to do it.
Quick tip on the transfer case... before you drain it, make sure you can get the fill plug out first. They're notorious for being over-tightened at the factory and being very difficult to remove the first time. You don't want to have drained the transfer case and find out you can't refill it.
The rear diff cover needs to come off to change the fluid. Advance Auto Parts sells a Fel-Pro gasket for it. Some people say to RTV it the cover, but the gasket is simpler.
Thanks Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.