Flashing Check Engine Light w/ Loss of Power - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
ACM423
2016 JK Wrangler 

Flashing Check Engine Light w/ Loss of Power

Need some advice, went wheeling on the 9th and on the trip home I noticed my check engine light flash and the Jeep didnt seem to know what gear it wanted to go into. Only happened once though so I didn't think much about it.
On the 10th, I went to go get groceries and around 1.5k and 2k rpm the check engine light flashes and I loose power. Didnt have any problems while wheeling, was in 4low and first and second gear the whole time. Didnt smack the undercarriage on anything or bounce around really hard. Any ideas what could be wrong? I will be taking it into the garage next weekend if the problem persists. I wont be doing much driving during to two weeks leading up to going to the garage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 02:40 PM
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Probably not much anyone can tell you until you get the codes read. Flashing CEL usually means something bad is happening to the cats. Sounds like it could be a pretty bad misfire. Bad O2 sensors can cause these types of misfires and the hesitation that may feel like the tranny. I wouldn't mess with anything until you see what codes are stored. Just in case the CEL and strange "tranny" sensation aren't related, is the tranny fluid level okay and has it been serviced recently?

"Hey, ya never know til you try." Kurt Russell-Big Trouble in Little China
post #3 of 10 Old 04-12-2016, 10:58 AM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM423 View Post
Need some advice, went wheeling on the 9th and on the trip home I noticed my check engine light flash and the Jeep didnt seem to know what gear it wanted to go into. Only happened once though so I didn't think much about it.
On the 10th, I went to go get groceries and around 1.5k and 2k rpm the check engine light flashes and I loose power. Didnt have any problems while wheeling, was in 4low and first and second gear the whole time. Didnt smack the undercarriage on anything or bounce around really hard. Any ideas what could be wrong? I will be taking it into the garage next weekend if the problem persists. I wont be doing much driving during to two weeks leading up to going to the garage.
Flashing MIL means that cat damage is taking place.Never drive it with a flashing MIL.

Without codes it's a 1 n 4000+ guess s what is wrong.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
post #4 of 10 Old 04-12-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
ACM423
2016 JK Wrangler 

Okay, so I got the codes:
P0300 Random Misfire
P1129
P0152 O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
P0157 O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
P0158 O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)

Guy at AutoZone said its probably just water in my O2 sensor and to check my wires to make sure they're dry since I went through some fairly deep water.

The Jeep was just serviced the weekend before with all fresh fluids and filters as well as a full inspection.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-12-2016, 05:29 PM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Okay, so I got the codes:
P0300 Random Misfire
P1129
P0152 O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
P0157 O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
P0158 O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)

Guy at AutoZone said its probably just water in my O2 sensor and to check my wires to make sure they're dry since I went through some fairly deep water.

The Jeep was just serviced the weekend before with all fresh fluids and filters as well as a full inspection.
You will want to change the diff fluids again and check the trans and t-case for water.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
post #6 of 10 Old 04-30-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
ACM423
2016 JK Wrangler 

I replaced both Bank Two O2 sensors and the problem was solved for a couple days...I went back and had them pull codes and got the engine misfire and the Bank2, Sensor1 O2 sensor which I just replaced. The engine starts misfireing at roughly 2.1k rpm. Up until then it runs perfectly fine. At about 3k the engine will stop misfireing and go back to normal operation. This is only observable while driving, sitting still and rev the engine up it has no problem. The said it could be spark plugs, so I ordered a new set of plugs for it and will be getting them wednesday. The plugs havent been changed since Ive owned it and I have no idea if they had been changed before I got it, so theyre probably due to be switched out anyways.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-30-2016, 02:21 PM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I replaced both Bank Two O2 sensors and the problem was solved for a couple days...I went back and had them pull codes and got the engine misfire and the Bank2, Sensor1 O2 sensor which I just replaced. The engine starts misfireing at roughly 2.1k rpm. Up until then it runs perfectly fine. At about 3k the engine will stop misfireing and go back to normal operation. This is only observable while driving, sitting still and rev the engine up it has no problem. The said it could be spark plugs, so I ordered a new set of plugs for it and will be getting them wednesday. The plugs havent been changed since Ive owned it and I have no idea if they had been changed before I got it, so theyre probably due to be switched out anyways.
Please understand, vAutozone does not possess any ability to diagnose problems at all. Take the info they give you, and use it for toilet paper. If you haven't replaced the plugs in the last 30k miles with NGK copper plugs, then you need to start there. If you replaced the O2 sensors with Bosch, you need to install the right ones(ngk/ntk, densor, or mopar). If you got your parts at autozone, then that's likely a contributing problem
post #8 of 10 Old 05-05-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
ACM423
2016 JK Wrangler 

Okay, i finally solved my misfire problem. Replacing all the plugs did the trick. 82k miles and they had never been replaced. Replaced them with some MSD performance plugs.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 PM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Okay, i finally solved my misfire problem. Replacing all the plugs did the trick. 82k miles and they had never been replaced. Replaced them with some MSD performance plugs.
Oh boy, some people never learn. Remember that part up above when I said, NGK is the oe plug? Lots of issues using all the new fangled fancy overpriced plugs in these engines, and misfires, etc returning later. The only thing performance about those plugs you got, is in how fast they emptied your wallet. Parts store told you to try these, didn't they?
post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
ACM423
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Oh boy, some people never learn. Remember that part up above when I said, NGK is the oe plug? Lots of issues using all the new fangled fancy overpriced plugs in these engines, and misfires, etc returning later. The only thing performance about those plugs you got, is in how fast they emptied your wallet. Parts store told you to try these, didn't they?
I had actually already ordered them before you had posted your comment. I had looked them up on Summit Racing and they had good reviews so I went with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.