Fan Module Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Fan Module Problem

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

Fan Module Problem

Hi Guys,

Lately I've been noticing a loud roaring sound coming from the engine compartment when my AC compressor is on. I noticed it the other night when my windshield fogged up, and I turned on the defroster.

I brought it by a shop today and they told me I needed an entire new fan module, which they said costs $410 bucks.

Needless to say, I want to get some other opinions. So I thought this was a logical place to do it.

If it's of any help, I posted a short video demonstrating the problem on youtube. You can view the clip by going here:
The noise is clearest at about the 40 second mark in the clip.

eingmund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

Sorry, I should clarify some other key pieces of info. It's a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport. 3.7 L V6. 98,000 miles.
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

OK, so I took it by two other shops today and they disagreed with the previous diagnosis (which I did not tell them about). They both said the AC compressor was going bad.

Just wondering what you guys think, based on the video I posted? Do you think it sounds like a radiator fan issue? Or a compressor issue?

HELP!
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

(duplicate post - deleted)
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
1coopgt
2005 KJ Liberty 

AC compressor . The compressor runs when you have the defrost on also .
1coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

Yup - it's the compressor. Kind of odd because I had a new one installed (with a flush and a new accumulator) back in August 2010. Seems awfully premature for a compressor to go bad. It was a new (not remanufactured) compressor made by Compressorworks.

Tons of metal shavings were in the freon when I had the system evacuated. So we're going to change out just about everything and flush the system.

Why do you think a new compressor would go bad that quickly? Shoddy work, or bad luck?
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
BIG_J
2005 KJ Liberty 

Just a heads up, you can not flush our condensers out correctly. You must replace them. I work in the cooling system business. Spend the extra $100 and have them replace it at the same time.
BIG_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.