Fan Module Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Fan Module Problem

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

Fan Module Problem

Hi Guys,

Lately I've been noticing a loud roaring sound coming from the engine compartment when my AC compressor is on. I noticed it the other night when my windshield fogged up, and I turned on the defroster.

I brought it by a shop today and they told me I needed an entire new fan module, which they said costs $410 bucks.

Needless to say, I want to get some other opinions. So I thought this was a logical place to do it.

If it's of any help, I posted a short video demonstrating the problem on youtube. You can view the clip by going here:
The noise is clearest at about the 40 second mark in the clip.

eingmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

Sorry, I should clarify some other key pieces of info. It's a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport. 3.7 L V6. 98,000 miles.
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

OK, so I took it by two other shops today and they disagreed with the previous diagnosis (which I did not tell them about). They both said the AC compressor was going bad.

Just wondering what you guys think, based on the video I posted? Do you think it sounds like a radiator fan issue? Or a compressor issue?

HELP!
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

(duplicate post - deleted)
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
1coopgt
2005 KJ Liberty 

AC compressor . The compressor runs when you have the defrost on also .
1coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
eingmund
2003 KJ Liberty 

Yup - it's the compressor. Kind of odd because I had a new one installed (with a flush and a new accumulator) back in August 2010. Seems awfully premature for a compressor to go bad. It was a new (not remanufactured) compressor made by Compressorworks.

Tons of metal shavings were in the freon when I had the system evacuated. So we're going to change out just about everything and flush the system.

Why do you think a new compressor would go bad that quickly? Shoddy work, or bad luck?
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
BIG_J
2005 KJ Liberty 

Just a heads up, you can not flush our condensers out correctly. You must replace them. I work in the cooling system business. Spend the extra $100 and have them replace it at the same time.
BIG_J is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.