Extra key - how much? At dealership now! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Extra key - how much? At dealership now!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 12-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
orange_rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Extra key - how much? At dealership now!

So were at a Ford dealership looking to pick up another 07 Limited Libby - this one is a non 4 wheel drive. So the dealership only has 1 key and we are going to need another. My question is do we have to get a new key specifically from the jeep dealership - basically is there a chip in the fab? How much does it cost? The jeep does NOT have an alarm but does have the integrated key fab. Can anyone please help - like the title said we are at the dealership now and would like to know. Thanks!

'81 cj-5 - being restored w/ dad - keeping the 151
orange_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Not sure of the entire answer to your question, but I have an 05 and the key is chipped as far as I know. If there is only one key make them pay for another as a condition of sale. If there is only 1 key it will have to be done at the jeep dealer.

You can only program a key yourself if you have 2 working keys per the owners manual on my 05 so not sure about an 07 MY.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
04LibertyRen
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJEEPER View Post
If there is only one key make them pay for another as a condition of sale.
x2 I agree
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

x 1 million on making the dealer provide a second complete key (including the FOB) before finishing paperwork. Some sales managers can be tools, by not going through with promises that are not in writing. Hit them for the factory moulded mud flaps too !! You may not need them, but you can always sell them to fellow Jeeper. Not that I'm looking for anthing like that.

After that, you can pick up chiped keys on flea-bay for something close to $15 each. I'd get 2 while doing it. Have them cut locally and then program them yourself.

Good luck with your purchase.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
orange_rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

They have discounted it as much as possibly but since they're not a Jeep dealership there is not much they can do about getting an immediate replacement. Been looking on ebay and all I can find are the shells - nothing with the internals.

I thought it might have the internal chip that requires the dealership to program. Although I might try to program it with 1 key - when I worked at a BMW dealership in college we could do it with one key. Thanks for mentioning that.

'81 cj-5 - being restored w/ dad - keeping the 151
orange_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
brucebotti
2005 KJ Liberty 

I bought a second key at the dealership a few months back. It was $154 with tax for the key, cutting, and programming.
Bruce
brucebotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_rubi View Post
They have discounted it as much as possibly but since they're not a Jeep dealership there is not much they can do about getting an immediate replacement. .

RIIIIIIGHT. Walk out. Bet you they drop the price the cost of a new key before you hit the door.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

orange rubi

As long as they put that a complete key with fob is due you for no additional charge on the paperwork, waiting a few days for them to get it for you shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. Wouldn't sign on the bottom line without the second key clearly spelled out that it is part of the transaction though.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
jimymc
2003 KJ Liberty 

I bought an 03 Renny and it only had one key/fob. Wal-Mart can now make chipped key duplicates. I got one of those for about $50 for the Darling Wife and a new fob from the Jeep dealership for $83. I programmed the fob following the instructions in the owners manual. Still pretty costly, but now what the dealer wanted.
jimymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
osargd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I got one (Transponder key for a 2004 Liberty) for $12 on Ebay, got it programmed when I went to the dealership to have other work done... when i looked at charges, they didn't even charge for programming (it only takes like 30 seconds to do) threw the mechanic a nice tip. total cost under $30.
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Phantoms2013
2000 WJ 

Here in NYC area, they are asking $120 for programming....Thats total BS
Phantoms2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.