Exhaust removal/exhaust fabrication - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Exhaust removal/exhaust fabrication

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
gombie72

Exhaust removal/exhaust fabrication

(02' 3.7 lmtd) Hey! Just wondering, Ive heard from multiple people that removing your muffler is illegal. I recognize that it can be, but to make it legal appearently all I need is to be 6 inches behind the cab. How difficult would it be to fabricate a pipe that long that I may potentially down pipe at 45 degrees?

gombie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Besides sounding like crap without a muffler, it would be so loud in the interior you wouldn't be able to talk or hear anything
Plus it helps build some back pressure which they need
Unread 05-31-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
John317

And the cab / cabin is the entire interior of the vehicle.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

This isnt a truck with a cab...it still has to come out the back...not sure where you're located, but pretty sure you need a muffler anywhere in the us due to emissions...and like they said, it's gonna sound like **** w/ out a muffler...just buy a magnaflow and be happy
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
This isnt a truck with a cab...it still has to come out the back...not sure where you're located, but pretty sure you need a muffler anywhere in the us due to emissions...and like they said, it's gonna sound like **** w/ out a muffler...just buy a magnaflow and be happy
Mufflers are not part of the emission system,not in any of the 50 states does it require a muffler to pass the actual sniffer test.

Noise laws are where mufflers are required and some states have stricter noise laws then others.
Unread 05-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Mufflers are not part of the emission system,not in any of the 50 states does it require a muffler to pass the actual sniffer test.

Noise laws are where mufflers are required and some states have stricter noise laws then others.
Don't know where the OP is from, no profile info, but Maryland is pretty strict on the noise thing in the more urban areas. I'm out in the sticks but travel into the mess for work so have to tread lightly even with my Borla. They (VEIP) do visually inspect for intact exhaust but only plug in for emissions on newer OBDII vehicles. Everytime I go in they tell me I have a hole in my muffler but I tell them it's supposed to be like that.
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
gombie72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blue
Don't know where the OP is from, no profile info, but Maryland is pretty strict on the noise thing in the more urban areas. I'm out in the sticks but travel into the mess for work so have to tread lightly even with my Borla. They (VEIP) do visually inspect for intact exhaust but only plug in for emissions on newer OBDII vehicles. Everytime I go in they tell me I have a hole in my muffler but I tell them it's supposed to be like that.
Sorry for the late reply. I recognize all of these things. My friend has 2 flowmasters he had hooked up to his charger srt8 that he is willing to sell one of. I am currently located in Charlotte North Carolina. And at high RPMs I know it sounds anything but good. But seeing I am in a highly crowded city, it is mostly at low revs where it sounds allright. I have knowlege of the back pressure 'issue', and I am really not trying to sound like a jerk, or rude or anything, but the back pressure created by the muffler is not really necessary, nor does ot hurt much over a small period of time. Plus the jeep is 12 years old and hasnt had a problem for over 30,000 miles 'knock on wood'. Although I am chasing down the 200k mile marker right now.
Unread 06-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Don't know why you asked a question since you already know what you want to do
Not being a jerk either , just stating facts
Unread 06-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I am totally confused. You want info on removing the muffler but you have a muffler you want to use? From my personal experience running open pipes for short periods of time the sound level is fine at a constant RPM or slowing down. It is accelerating that causes all of the noise and this is regardless of speed. If you are in a crowded city and having to drive in stop and go traffic the lack of a muffler is going to be undesirable on many levels.

I should qualify that the cars I drove without a muffler (usually to the muffler shop) did not have a cat converter so I don't know how much that cuts down on the noise itself.

Come to think of it, why didn't someone combine the two?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post

Come to think of it, why didn't someone combine the two?
Most mufflers are filled with glass fibers for sound deadening and cats can reach temps well over 1200 degrees so not a good combo.Plus there is a size issue to reach the required sound level for local laws.
Unread 06-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Most mufflers are filled with glass fibers for sound deadening and cats can reach temps well over 1200 degrees so not a good combo.Plus there is a size issue to reach the required sound level for local laws.
Makes sense. I had not thought of that. Certainly if they could be combined some car company would have done it by now. (save money and weight). Oh well, another idea I won't get rich off of....
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

There have been so many kids who I have known over the years who have removed their mufflers thinking that it sounded "cool!" and thought that this made their vehicles go faster. I love the looks on their faces when I race them in my '68 Chevy C10 with dual Thrush Turbos when I leave them sitting at the starting line.

My step-son was going to remove his muffler to get the loud noise, but I had talked him out of it. He was butt-hurt for a while, that was until one of his friends had removed his muffler from his XJ and hated how loud and annoying that it was when they drove to the hills.

Stick with a muffler, but go with something good. You'll appreciate this in the end.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
gombie72

Okay, so my real question is, should I just extend the pipe out from the cab, should I buy the new muffler, or should I put the old back on?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.