EVAP System Leak, how do you find it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > EVAP System Leak, how do you find it?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 09-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
ej's tj

2005 LJ Wrangler 

EVAP System Leak, how do you find it?

Ok, so I got stupid yesterday and bought the hand held code reader from the auto parts store to read codes in my 2002 Liberty ( there was not anyone there that could take 5 minutes to walk outside and read the codes for me so I got mad and just bought the $280 computer ). It states there is a "small leak in the EVAP system". I have a basic level of mechanical aptitude and can usually fix most minor things, but for the life of me I can not find a hose off or any holes that would cause this error code. Also, I do not see anything that resembles what I think a "charcoal canister" should look like. I do not see anything that resembles a 2 lb. coffee can with vacuum lines coming out of it.

So my questions are these: 1. How does one go about finding said leak. 2. where in the world is the evap canister.

I actually have three Jeeps, my wife's Liberty, a Cherokee and my Wrangler. It is a pain when two of the three have the same problem......

Integrity is a rare find!
ej's tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
VTNomad
2012 JK Wrangler 

Gas cap

Check and make sure your gas cap is on tight. This has been known to cause the issue, and it's the easiest thing to fix. Let us know if that works.
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
ej's tj

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I will try that tomorrow, thanks for your help!

Integrity is a rare find!
ej's tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
Matt400

The last evap leak I found on a Wrangler was under the hood.
Take a look between the drivers fender and manifold for a green colored cap attached to black lines. Thats the evap test port, The rubber hoses that connect the plastic pipes near there will crack and cause the leak.
Many times you can cut the bad end off and re attach but if not then a replacement hose is needed.

Dont put an air hose on that test port cuz more than 1 psi can cause grief.

On your wifes Liberty take a look above the rear axle, again there are rubber hoses that attach the plastic pipes to the charcoal canister, those hoses will split there on that model.
Matt400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
jeepjeepster

I believe the charcoal filter is under the rear of the kj somewhere. Most likely your leak is under there some where since thats where all the evap crap is on the kj.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

There is a 1/4" hose in front of the rear axle that goes to the fuel tank which is the usual place to find leaks on a KJ.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.