EVAP system code & canister location - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > EVAP system code & canister location

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
noodlestsc

EVAP system code & canister location

My wife's 02 Liberty keeps pulling the P0442 code for the evap containment system. At first I thought it was the gas cap. Tightened it up, cleared the code, but a few days later it popped back up...Second time around replaced the gas cap, cleared the code and again a few days later it popped back up.

I haven't really took a look for it yet, but where is the charcoal canister on the Liberty so I can start the tedious task of hose leak detection?

'04 TJ. RE 4.5 superflex (3.5 springs), 1"BL, 32x11.50x15 Kuhmo Venture MTs, JKS discos, skidded, Powertrax No-Slip up front, winch, SYE, Tom Woods shaft, soon to be homemade flat TC skid
noodlestsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
CaBowhunter
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem , Then the rear pinion seal started to leak and while replacing it I noticed a molded hose right above the rear axle going in to a evap box was spilt . I replaced the hose and cleared the code and it has not repeated. Hope this helps.

Randy
CaBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaBowhunter View Post
I had the same problem.....I noticed a molded hose right above the rear axle going in to a evap box was spilt . I replaced the hose and cleared the code and it has not repeated. Hope this helps.

Randy
My wife's Liberty had the same thing happen. It took me months to figure it out because the crack was pretty small and not easily seen. We hooked it up to a line leaker tester thing (not sure of the actual name, but it forces smoke into the lines to see where it leaks out) and sure enough, that's where it was coming from.
tony673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.