Evap Purge Solenoid & Natural Vacuum Leak Dectector Assembly - Need to Replace.HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Evap Purge Solenoid & Natural Vacuum Leak Dectector Assembly - Need to Replace.HELP

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
ilovekale

Evap Purge Solenoid & Natural Vacuum Leak Dectector Assembly - Need to Replace.HELP

The check engine light was on on my Jeep Liberty 2004, 3.7 Liter.

I took to the dealer and they said:

"P0040 General Evap System Failure, found purge solenoid not holding vacuum and leak detector not switching properly. Recommend replacement of evap purge solenoid and natural vacuum leak detector assembly"

They wanted 400 to replace the purge solenoid, a job that took me 5 minutes and a $40 part... however..

I replaced the purge solenoid and the light is still on. Can someone please tell me what the "Natural Vacuum Leak Detector" part number is. Is this a separate part. The guy at the dealer part shop said it was all the same and I just needed the purge solenoid.

I have a feeling that the "natural vacuum leak detector" is something different. So can someone tell me the part number for this part.

Thank You
Philip

ilovekale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Did you clear the code after you replaced the purge selenoid? If you didn't then maybe that's why the MIL is still on?
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovekale View Post
The check engine light was on on my Jeep Liberty 2004, 3.7 Liter.

I took to the dealer and they said:

"P0040 General Evap System Failure, found purge solenoid not holding vacuum and leak detector not switching properly. Recommend replacement of evap purge solenoid and natural vacuum leak detector assembly"

They wanted 400 to replace the purge solenoid, a job that took me 5 minutes and a $40 part... however..

I replaced the purge solenoid and the light is still on. Can someone please tell me what the "Natural Vacuum Leak Detector" part number is. Is this a separate part. The guy at the dealer part shop said it was all the same and I just needed the purge solenoid.

I have a feeling that the "natural vacuum leak detector" is something different. So can someone tell me the part number for this part.

Thank You
Philip
PO040 is not General Evap System Failure it is Oxygen Sensor Signals Swapped Bank 1 Sensor 1 / Bank 2 Sensor 1.So you either mistook the code,or you have a differant problem.The answer to your question is,the Natural Vacuum leak detector is differant then the Purge Solenoid.The Detector is located on the front of the fuel tank.The part # I have is 04891525AB@118 list price.Double check if you call for part that thats the right number.I think the code you have is PO440-Evap Sys Perf
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
ilovekale

Yes, I mistyped the code, my apologies it is P0440.

OK, so I will look for that part. Weird because I though it was two parts when picking up the car and two people at the dealer said it was only one part.

To answer the reset, I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and the light went out, came back on a couple of days later.

Will it cause problems not to replace this immediately? I will replace it soon though.

Thank you for the help.

Philip
ilovekale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Urkel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Why disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes? That resets the computer... right? What I started doing was disconnecting the three harness connections on the computer. If you do that with the engine running, you will see that no matter which one you disconnect the engine will shut down. So, if you disconnect all three with or without the engine on, it will reset it. You will then have to drive 40 to 60 miles for the computer to find faults. I would say, check the gas cap. I had 3 codes. I found one hose on the solenoid was starting to fray, I changed it. Blow out that filter on the small round canister. My jeep was fine. After using the gas cap at autozone, I returned it because it would set off a code. So, I got the Stant Gas Cap from my friend's store. I haven't had ANY problems in 6 months. Also, make sure you check that the gas cap is tight, when you get gas. That is another cause of the problem.

I could have paid $200 to have someone detect the leak with a smoke test, I could have replaced every part from the canister to the valve and wasted $500. But I did a few things that costed less than $50 and solved my issues.
Urkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
Why disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes? That resets the computer... right? What I started doing was disconnecting the three harness connections on the computer. If you do that with the engine running, you will see that no matter which one you disconnect the engine will shut down. So, if you disconnect all three with or without the engine on, it will reset it. You will then have to drive 40 to 60 miles for the computer to find faults. I would say, check the gas cap. I had 3 codes. I found one hose on the solenoid was starting to fray, I changed it. Blow out that filter on the small round canister. My jeep was fine. After using the gas cap at autozone, I returned it because it would set off a code. So, I got the Stant Gas Cap from my friend's store. I haven't had ANY problems in 6 months. Also, make sure you check that the gas cap is tight, when you get gas. That is another cause of the problem.

I could have paid $200 to have someone detect the leak with a smoke test, I could have replaced every part from the canister to the valve and wasted $500. But I did a few things that costed less than $50 and solved my issues.
Never disconnect the PCM while the engine is running or with the battery connected,sure fire way to fry the PCM.
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
Urkel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Never disconnect the PCM while the engine is running or with the battery connected,sure fire way to fry the PCM.
I haven't had a problem. I've done it several times. I have shut the key off, before connecing it. It actually corrected some electrical issues. I doubt it will fry it. With the ignition off, the computer isn't on. And if so, jumping another car will do more damage! The cables spark when they connect. But, if you say so! I'll ask my friend that works on Lamborghini's.
Urkel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.