ESP/BAS, and traction control light on. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > ESP/BAS, and traction control light on.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

ESP/BAS, and traction control light on.

I have 48K on my '06 KJ. My wife was 25 miles in to her drive on the interstate when the car slowed and the ESP/BAS light came on. 40 degrees F and dry roads. After turning it off and back on she headed back home and the light flashed on a few times but never slowed. She is home safe and it looks like I have troubleshooting to do tonight. Would the ESP/BAS light coming on cause any codes to be stored? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance everyone.

jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

The dealer is your best bet when it comes to ABS/ESP/BAS and airbag. The dealer can access those codes (and pending codes) , by their special code reader, as long as you do not clear the codes, by removing the battery cables.
I also would ensure that your battery is passing a load test ,since stock batt should be changed out at 4 years.. Jeeps do weird stuff if the battery is failing.
Buy The best and you won't "Die like the Rest"
34/78 PC-1500 Dual terminal should drop right in (7-10 +years) of real service life.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html

Last edited by LibertyTC; 12-17-2009 at 09:49 AM..
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the help. The battery is only a month old. Is a duralast plus. Not as good as the Odyssey, but I couldn't swing that much $$.
Unread 12-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

I checked it over last night and found nothing. Drove it and could not recreate the problem.
Unread 12-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
bmrrwolfe
2006 KJ Liberty 

Was it just the ESP/BAS? I had the ABS Traction Control and ESP/BAS lights all on, and it was from a front speed sensor, just had both replaced and solved it for me.
bmrrwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This happened on my MK back in June. This thread my be helpful. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/e...-light-797236/ The steering angle sensor, like Merlin suggested, is the likely problem.

It's done it twice again in the last 2 weeks after I slid off the ice into a snow bank and had to be towed out. The alignment has been off since then so when I take it in for that I'll see if I can get more info.

esnow-dec-9-09-010.jpg

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Up date. The light came on and I got it to turn off several times by turning the wheel full left and right.

I finally got it to the shop today and they couldn't do an alignment because the Tie Rods and Lower Ball Joints/Control Arm Assemblies were shot and that would throw off the steering angle sensor, too. All fixed no more ABS/ESP light.

This happening for the first time back in June may have been an indication of the steering getting loose, I don't know for sure. If it was, having it winched out of a ditch from a 30 degree side angle finished them off.

If your lights keep coming on check the Ball Joints and Tie Rods. If they are not be the problem them check out the Steering Angle Sensor, but that's a $90 diagnostic fee.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.