ESP/BAS Lights on 06 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > ESP/BAS Lights on 06

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #16
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Merlin,
I will try, but that has been the issue...in allot of instances it has not thrown a code, my ABS and ESP lights and the check engine light have just come on intermittently. They have not flashed or stayed on for days at a time. I don't know if the problem has to get so bad that it finally will throw one. I've tried to be proactive and catch problems early. Since I am in the vehicle so much I usually can tell a difference in the shifting, braking etc. Being female and getting stranded on a gravel road has never been my favorite thing. Thanks again.

Last edited by ruralroute01; 08-21-2007 at 05:13 PM..
ruralroute01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
merlinTec

Hi
Sorry having trouble believing it will put both lights on and not give you a code. Very interested to hear more from you. You may not have an active fault but should have a stored code. How long before you take it in after the lights have been on?
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #18
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hi,
I've taken it in with the lights on only moments before and it doesn't always show a code which is why this has baffled more than a few mechanics. They have suggested shooting it to put it out of its misery and I think maybe theirs! The last time I had it in to my semi-local dealership the codes stored were
C102B C1032 C1027. At that time they removed all the wheel speed sensors, inspected and cleaned them and also removed and cleaned the ESP and ABS connectors and added dielectric silicone to seal. Also cleared all the codes, did not feel it was the wheel sensors. They road tested it and it supposedly was fine, before I drove it off the lot that night after hours, the lights were back on. I know the codes are relied upon heavily but I'm beginning to think maybe the Body Control Module is defective...would that be a possibility or some other part of the "brain". The reprogramming for the BCM was done 7/2006 after receiving my letter from DC. I've continued to have problems after the BCM was reprogrammed primarily with the ESP and ABS lights, the transmission shifting and the braking. I do go through brakes obviously with my job but have them checked every 3000 mile oil change. I have several local mechanic friends...thank goodness that I trust but these electronic issues I've been trying to let the dealerships figure out.

Also, the same day I had the sensors, etc checked it also showed code PO218 which was showing transmission overheated, but no dash lights were on signaling it truly was. On a side note I have the tow package with the larger transmission cooler since I do put more pressure on the transmission with my job I had hoped the extra cooler would help.

When on vacation last week I took it to another dealership in south Missouri and at that time a wheel speed sensor code was thrown but I do not have the specific code on it at this time. So needless to say they also thought they had it fixed. I know the techs are trying but after the last fix the lights came on and have continued to intermittently be on since last Wednesday. Before the wheel speed sensor was put it, it was not braking well at all. It felt as if you were in four wheel drive and all brakes were braking. When the ESP and ABS lights were on, it would brake fine. I have noticed an improvement in the braking since the speed sensor was fixed..I don't know if that is coincidence or not.

Chrysler even though I'm out of warranty has so far honored the transmission work but not the ESP and ABS work as they said they do not have anything to do with the transmission issues. But I also had these issues in the first few months of owning it. The semi-local dealership's service manager had to push the issue with Chrysler for them to goodwill the transmission claim but obviously it's still not fixed. I have a contact at Chrysler also that I've spoke with on my struggles but he hasnt returned my call lately! Sorry for the long post. I have been fighting these issues for approximately the last 47,000 miles so its been frustrating! I do like the Jeep and would like to keep it if only I could figure out some of these computer issues. Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.

Last edited by ruralroute01; 08-21-2007 at 05:33 PM..
ruralroute01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #19
merlinTec

Hi
The codes are for both REAR sensors (you have said they replace the front?) They don’t share the same wiring and the only thing that connects them is the ABS module. With the light coming on with no codes I would be replacing the ABS module. As for cleaning your wheels, the sensors are in with the handbrake shoes how are you going to clean them? There is also a software update for the transmission (not for your fault) but it’s always best to have the software up to date it may fix your fault.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #20
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hi,
I know the code last week was for the front right wheel speed sensor which is why it was replaced. The serv. dept was closed when I called this evening to get the code for you. The codes I gave you were for the other visit..so many visits..I know it's confusing...I feel that way myself. I do agree I don't know how I could clean them either and in speaking with a local non dealership mechanic he said I couldn't get to them. I'm just passing on what I've been told at the dealerships, they suggest I go to the carwash with the upward jets.

I will suggest they replace the ABS module and perform the software update. Thank you for the help. They are wanting me to bring the jeep back to them but until I had some kind of idea what it might be I hated to take it back. They are also waiting on a call back from Chrysler so hopefully your suggestions can be discussed too. The service manager has become a friend so I do trust they are trying but just not experienced enough maybe with the libertys. They service primarily Fords in a town of approximately 12,000 people. The dealership is several miles away and it just takes a little coordination to get it delivered and of course I do without it on the route. But all worth it if a fix can finally be found!
Unread 12-31-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
Mikes99XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 2 cents is that C102B shows up as Right Rear Speed Sensor wiring being faulty. I have the same issue on my gf's car right now and I just replaced the sensor with that not being the cause. Now on to the wiring as we speak..

99XJ 4.0 4.5" Rustys, 31" Treadwrights, flowcrapper blah blah blah, and a 6ft6 western unimount.

2001 XJ 4.0 4.5" Rustys, 33" BFG MT's, JKS, 8.25Locked, Rusty's 50 series Flowcrapper exhaust, Rustys Motor/trans mounts, Viair Compressor, Hella standard horns, Train horns, Delta housings w/55W HID's, CB, and soon to be stroker 4.6L
Mikes99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.