Engine stalls on warm starts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Engine stalls on warm starts

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
StriderWA
2005 KJ Liberty 

Engine stalls on warm starts

I've recently had a problem with my '05 KJ sport 3.7L (99k miles) where if I'm making multiple stops and turning the engine off and trying to start it back up again within 5-10 minutes, the engine will turn over but then immediately stall. If you try it again right away it will repeat the process, but if I wait anywhere from 30 seconds - 2 minutes, it will start normally. It has absolutely no problems starting cold in the morning or any other time of the day if it has been sitting idle for longer than 10-15 minutes.

I've tried some of the easier fixes, like replacing the spark plugs (A long shot, I know, but they were due anyways), tried some injector cleaners, and checked for any pending engine codes and there are none.

I've searched some of the Jeep and Liberty-specific forums, and it sounds like it could be the crankshaft position sensor or a camshaft position sensor? I picked up both parts from Autozone and found a video on how to replace the CPK but for the life of me, even after seeing the sensor in the video, have no idea where the bugger is (I know it's supposed to be on the back of the engine block by the oil pan, but the video never zooms out to give me a better point of reference). Also, the video I saw never really addressed the camshaft position sensor (I figured I may as well do it too since the part was only $16)

Does anyone have a few pics or a better video to show where the sensor is located, and maybe some steps/tips on how to replace them? Am I even on the right track or am I just wasting my time?

I'm ok with some of the easier part replacements but I think this is the most advanced one I've had to attempt thus far. (My downstream O2 sensor was the next hardest, but that was due to the O2 socket wrench not fitting in the tiny space between the sensor and the chassis)

StriderWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
straight6jeff

Also clean throttle body

One other easy attempt is to thoroughly clean the throttle body. In order to do this, you must remove the throttle body. Removal takes about two minutes, and the gasket is re-usable. Clean the passages, throat, blade, and the pintle to the IAC.

A dirty (carboned) throttle body will cause erratic no-starts and will not usually throw a check engine light. I just had to clean the TB on my 01 grand marq for the exact same symptoms. Both Jeeps were cleaned in October.
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Also on the search

Hello,
I also am trying to find the fix for this on my 2006 Liberty Renegade. I have already replaced the cam and crankshaft sensor, 02 sensors, map sensor, Idle air sensor, PCV valve, spark plugs, Knock sensor, TPS, etc. I have the throttle body area cleaned regularly..but I don't believe it has ever been taken off and cleaned that thoroughly...that may be next. I am a rural mail carrier so the carbon really builds up...around 44,xxx miles a year put on it and allot of stopping and starting each day. Mine also starts fine in the mornings, idles well, no more surging or rough idle since several sensors replaced, much cleaner ran through and lucas oil stabilizer put in at each oil change. It is just the warm starts as you describe too, that are still causing me issues.

One thing I have found is to go with the OEM parts for the sensors. I have spoke to numerous mechanics (none at dealerships) and they have tried the aftermarkets but in the end found much better success with the OEM parts for all the sensors. They really are not that much more money. It has been suggested to me by a dealership, that there may be a valve issue in the engine. I know there is a service bulletin for the valve guides and locks. The price quoted was at the least $1500 to remove the heads and replaced the guides and locks.. if anything needs milled,etc the cost of course goes up. The Jeep has 176,xxx miles on it and it has been nothing but issues since I bought it. I'm just afraid if I spend all that money..it will still have a bad idle or rough warm start. I nor any of my local mechanics are convinced it is a valve issue...yet anyway. Every sensor we have replaced has helped how it idles and runs. I'm running out of sensor ideas..lol I thought maybe I had found the solution..the EGR valve but apparently the 2006 gas Liberties do not have them just the diesel. Does anyone know if there is another sensor that replaces the EGR valve for the gas engine? Good luck with yours, I know how frustrating this is, as a carrier we are to shut off our vehicles at certain times if away from the vehicle. It just is a worry, never knowing if at some point it won't start back up and I'm stranded out in the woods. lol Not sure if I've hindered or helped you. Maybe the cam or crank sensors will help yours. Hope it goes well.

Tags
cam position sensor , crank position sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.