engine oil recommendations - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > engine oil recommendations

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
03libby
2003 KJ Liberty 

How often are you adding? I may start waiting a couple extra miles between. Just trying to stay on topic of oil

03libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Obviously one's comfort level is job 1. But synthetic can go a long way. For me the CRD gets a change once a year or 10k whichever comes first. The gassers around 15k. Remember when Mobil 1 came out they recommended 12k but the OEM's balked.
99 Harley Sportster
88 Ford 350 diesel dump truck
02 Northwing Maverick Legend weight shift trike
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
danc89
2002 KJ Liberty 

in reality, does it really matter how far u can push an oil change when its like 30 or 40 bucks? Powerslave, all those vehicles have relatively low mileage, u dont know if ur shortening the lifespan of that engine by 50k miles in the long run by extending it that long. Im not saying u are, but u can never measure lost potential. If people wanna change it ever 7, or hell every 5 with syn, who cares? its not expensive lol, why are u getting all butthurt about it.

I say change it however often ur comfortable with, the manufacturer of the car recommends 5k, the oil recommends 10 or 12k, ur call!
danc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

While I respect TJKJ for many reasons I think Ill chime in a little bit here. I have a TDI Jetta and a CRD KJ. I use Amsoil European Car formula and Amsoil filters. The main issue with letting a good synthetic go high miles is filtration. I have a bypass oil filter in my TDI. I change the oil every 15,000 miles. I change out my engine oil filter (cartridge type) every 2500 miles and my bypass every 10,000 miles. Ive been doing oil analysis for years and every 15000 miles the lab tells me Im good and I can go longer. I dont, because I dont really want to.

IF youre able to change your oil filters regularly (2500 to 3000 mi) and youre using a good synthetic you can let it go much longer. 10,000 to 20,000 miles isnt unheard of WITH proper filtration.
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD_Joe View Post
While I respect TJKJ for many reasons I think Ill chime in a little bit here. I have a TDI Jetta and a CRD KJ. I use Amsoil European Car formula and Amsoil filters. The main issue with letting a good synthetic go high miles is filtration. I have a bypass oil filter in my TDI. I change the oil every 15,000 miles. I change out my engine oil filter (cartridge type) every 2500 miles and my bypass every 10,000 miles. Ive been doing oil analysis for years and every 15000 miles the lab tells me Im good and I can go longer. I dont, because I dont really want to.

IF youre able to change your oil filters regularly (2500 to 3000 mi) and youre using a good synthetic you can let it go much longer. 10,000 to 20,000 miles isnt unheard of WITH proper filtration.
While what you say is true, proper filtration is important, the additives in the oil are more important, and something that is not replenished by filters. You're using euro formula oil in your TDI, and that alone is the biggest factor in the success in your case. Try regular oils, even regular synthetic in that TDI, especially if its a later model, it wont matter if you change filters every month, premature valvetrain failure is a guarantee. The single largest difference between using the right oil for the application and some basic oil of the same viscocity will be whats in with the oil. Thats why some oil meets VW specs, and some dont.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

I dont disagree that the additives are important. But how can they be MORE important than filtering OUT particles that cause destruction to moving parts?
Unread 05-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #22
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Because any filter that meets or exceeds OE specs will do a fine job at filtering, and without the PROPER additives, there will soon be a ton of particles getting filtered out, from bearings, and shafts, etc.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.