engine oil recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > engine oil recommendations

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
chrisusvi

engine oil recommendations

I have an '02 Jeep Liberty with about 43,000 miles. I live and drive in a climate that is warm to hot year round. The terrain is quite hilly too.
What is a good engine oil for this type of climate? Could I upgrade to MOBILE1 without harming the engine?

chrisusvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mobil 1 won't hurt an engine, it will help it, I've used mobil 1 for years in everything, even my lawn tractor. Mobil 1 is in my 07 liberty as we speak. The only thing I don't have mobil 1 in is my 87 wrangler, because of the abuse it gets I run amsoil in the whole drivetrain.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
chrisusvi

What is the best weight?
Unread 05-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Lafever25

Agreed ^^^ Mobil 1 is definitely one of the best synthec oils out there.. I am currently trying the purple stuff... 5w30 is manufacturers recommendation, so I'd stick to that or go heavier during hot times like June, July, August... 10w30 or 40.
Lafever25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
chrisusvi

With Mobile 1, do you have to change the oil as often as conventional oils?
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
04liberty4x4

I'm running 5w30 Valvoline Syn Power full synthetic
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisusvi View Post
With Mobile 1, do you have to change the oil as often as conventional oils?

If you really want to know the condition of your oil, and whether you can run an extended oil change interval - get an oil analysis done from any of the oil testing labs like Blackstone labs or another company. You mail in a sample and they send you the results.

It is not expensive, and you will not be going on here-say or by what someone else is doing or experiencing with their rig. Just an idea for ya .

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Personally, I'm running 5w30 Mobil1 and going every 5k miles, and using a wix filter. Even in the extreme heat of the american south, I still ran 5w30 with no issues, in modern engines. One thing I should add, oils dont vary by viscocity alone when looking at different weights of oils. Their performance and chemical makeups can be different, and be designed for different uses. Ford and their 5w20 is a good example. There isnt alot of difference between 5w20 and 5w30 oils as far as viscocity goes, if any, but the additives can be alot different, and the 5w20 that meets the Ford spec, seen on Mobil1 bottles, as well as the Motorcraft stuff is a step up from 5w30. Theres information out there on the subject, Fords sticking oil control rings on the pistons, and using 5w20 to free them up.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
chrisusvi

When using Mobil 1, does the type of oil filter need to change too?
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Lafever25

Synthetic oils are simply better quality oil. Good measure is to check your oil dipstick at about 3k, depending on how hard you drive during that period. If its mainly highway than change the oil at 5k, mix driving I'd say around 4k. If your doing alotta off-roading, high revving, racing or towing I'd say change at about 3/3500 miles.. It's up to you to know your driving habits and your jeep condition. With that said, a higher quality oil filter will be able to trap more contaminants than a cheapo filter, still I'd change it ever oil change but I have heard people changing it every other, depending on how good of a filter they are using. Any filter is fine, at 46k you shouldn't be finding anymore shavings as your engine should be well broken in already... There were times I reused a filter when I saw how clean my old oil was but usually I change it everytime. Hope that helps
Lafever25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
Using Synthetic, you don't need to change every 3-4K, that's the whole idea for using it, less waste from used oil. Syn will last 25K easy. If you're gonna change it every 3-4K, then just use DINO oil, it's cheaper, and what the factory calls for.

With synthetic; I change mine twice a year, that's it, and I put 15K or better a year on it.

Mobil 1 says 15,000 miles and Amsoil says 25,000 miles between changes.

You'll spend more money changing DINO oil 3 times -vs- Synthetic once in that time frame.
Please go 15k or 25k on your syn oil,report back when you need a new engine so we all can get a good luagh at your expense
Unread 05-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
03libby
2003 KJ Liberty 

Just a quick question from a regular joe...when going 15k between oil changes do you have to top off the oil? I've read on here and other sites (not just for the jeeps) that people are burning oil and having to add it in just a 3k oil change. Just a question
03libby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I am reporting back, and I don't need a new engine. SO, I am the one laughing, at YOU, and I mean RIGHT at you, once more, heh heh heh. You call me out all the time, and you're always wrong. I got the Jeep with 56K miles, 'round there somewhere. Got 96K+ miles on it now, FOUR oil changes in all, all with 100% Synthetic. How do I keep beating YOUR system? Would you like to explain that? I mean, you're the expert, right? RIGHT? Don't say you're not an expert, that would only tell me what already know, and I would wholeheartedly agree, that you are NOT...

You're system must be one of the most flawed ones on Earth, because I beat the TAR out of it. SO, yeah, I am laughing at you, Again, as I always do when you call me out. I think you need to take another look at the actual physics of your so called "system", because I am way ahead of it.

My Avenger had 153K on it when I sold that, it's STILL on the road, some dude in South Side bought it.. Ran that ABOUT 15K between changes as well. The odds can't be on my side with your "system" if I keep hammering it flat...

PLEASE let me know when you become an expert, otherwise, you should really start each sentence with "I am no expert, BUT:" then it would be much easier to dismiss your bull-droppings.... Something is obvious off with your system, I mean, you keep letting me know what I will need, when I do this, that, or the other, but yet I am just fine.... Seriously, know who you're dealing with, I am much smarter than you, the Government would agree, I wasn't in the USAF because I was an idiot. You a Sailor? Heh Heh...
Love catching idiots lying..............

Your words..............
Quote:
I change mine twice a year, that's it, and I put 15K or better a year on it

Might want tro rethink trying to say that I don't know anything about vehicles,I've forgotten more stuff about wrenching then you will ever know in your whole life.

Smart and being in the chairforce have nothing to do with anything you may or may not think you are or not,actually being smart and being in the chairforce don't belong in the same sentance.
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I put powerslave on iggy a long time ago, he gives the guys that really know how to work on cars a bad name, sadly. Remember when he actually believed the number of an OBDII code was relevant to how important it was, ie P0401 was more serious then a P0320?

Quote:
Seriously, know who you're dealing with, I am much smarter than you, the Government would agree, I wasn't in the USAF because I was an idiot. You a Sailor? Heh Heh...
This is funny. With all the bases, including 3 USAF installations in town, Ive learned a few things about the military. Theres a few guys that know something about cars, but there is a ton that THINK they know something, and do a great job at screwing things up. We get the last laugh since we take their money and fix their mess. I somehow believe PS fits in that.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.