Engine light came on? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Engine light came on?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #31
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

So it appears weather we like it or not the corn % in our fuel is going up soon. I am just happy I do not have to use that stuff "crap" in my Jeeps or other small engines. Those of you that like it .....well happy trails. But for my hard earned $$$$$'s. I 'm sticking to the real Gas.I like the idea of less starting issues and less pulling ropes to start these small engines I have. If its true that extra moisture in our fuel tanks is no biggie, then I guess my post is a non issue. Thanks for the post and ideas on this subject.

94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #32
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Btw..................Studies have shown.....Ethanol also damages fiberglass fuel tanks. Stainless steel is the best choice for replacement. Mild steel may also work, but the fuel needs to be kept very fresh to prevent rust. Aluminum is not a good choice. Moisture and ethanol will quickly corrode reactive metals.

Accelerator pumps, in the carburetor, are another problem. Rubber pumps will not last long. Leather replacements are available for some vintage vehicles and will give good service.

On older vehicles, it is a wise precaution to add an extra fuel filter, between the fuel pump and the carburetor. This will help trap any debris picked up by the fuel. Remember ethanol is a great cleaner, any rust or debris in the tank may be picked up and transported through the fuel.

Just a side note to old jeep owners like me .
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any body else find it funny that the Model T in 1908 could run on 100% Ethanol... But supposedly today vehicles cant?... LOL Gas companies pay big money to spread lies about Ethanol....
My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJeeper View Post
Any body else find it funny that the Model T in 1908 could run on 100% Ethanol... But supposedly today vehicles cant?... LOL Gas companies pay big money to spread lies about Ethanol....
Yeah Indy car uses 100% ethanol and there engines cost more then what most will ever make in a lifetime.
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yeah Indy car uses 100% ethanol and there engines cost more then what most will ever make in a lifetime.
That has nothing to do with Ethanol....

Was the Model T priced above what most would ever make in a lifetime in 1908?
My Jeep
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #36
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJeeper
But weren't their fuel lines all metal - no rubber?

The problem is the damage done to o-rings, seals and rubber hose. The vehicles that run the stuff run fine until the rubber disintegrates and clogs injectors, etc.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #37
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
That has nothing to do with Ethanol....

Was the Model T priced above what most would ever make in a lifetime in 1908?
Has everything to do with ethanol saying a multi-million dollar engine runs just fine on E100 and can do so at 225+mph.
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #38
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
But weren't their fuel lines all metal - no rubber?

The problem is the damage done to o-rings, seals and rubber hose. The vehicles that run the stuff run fine until the rubber disintegrates and clogs injectors, etc.

Bob

Couldn't tell you on the line, but doesn't matter..Henry Ford had it figured out in 1908 but they can't do it today? Or they only make "certain" vehicles flex fuel.. It's all a marketing crap.
My Jeep
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #39
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Couldn't tell you on the line, but doesn't matter..Henry Ford had it figured out in 1908 but they can't do it today? Or they only make "certain" vehicles flex fuel.. It's all a marketing crap.
No rubber fuel lines,no elelctric fuel pump,no rubber o-rings in the fuel injectors.

Flex fuel is just basically a sensor that can read the ethanol content and adjust the timing and such,oh and no rubber in the fuel system which costs alot more.
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #40
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
No rubber fuel lines,no elelctric fuel pump,no rubber o-rings in the fuel injectors.

Flex fuel is just basically a sensor that can read the ethanol content and adjust the timing and such,oh and no rubber in the fuel system which costs alot more.
My FF F150 didn't cost any more than any other truck. Also runs like a race horse on E-85.....
My Jeep
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #41
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
My FF F150 didn't cost any more than any other truck. Also runs like a race horse on E-85.....
In small #'s they don't,every vehicle would increase cost.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #42
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

"The problem is the damage done to o-rings, seals and rubber hose. The vehicles that run the stuff run fine until the rubber disintegrates and clogs injectors, etc. "

Bob

I think most will not agree Bob.....................I do For what its worth.
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #43
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

This thread is one of those threads, its all over the place. I cant even make sense of the rambling, sorry. All your modern vehicles sold in the USA are designed to handle 10% ethanol. The claims of misfires, etc due to that 10% ethanol is urban legend, or a sign you do business with autozone. I've heard them spew that BS when they couldn't fix a ladies p0303 with their cure all cleaner. The vast majority of fuel has 10% ethanol, and in many states, stations are not required to post whether its 10% or straight gas. With all the vehicles I have serviced in my career, and owned, I have never had a single issue of engine problems due to running 10% ethanol in a fuel injected vehicle.
That said,
E85 is a different beast, and those comparing 10% to E85, its apples to oranges. The engines running it use different intake gasket materials typically, stainless steel in the fuel system, different fuel pumps, filters, and more electronics. The PCM must be able to determine alcohol content, then it adjusts timing and fuel delivery accordingly. They must run larger injectors as well to handle the increased fuel charge needed with E85. If you are silly enough to put E85 in a car that shouldn't have it, it can damage the fuel system, but I haven't seen one yet. They will throw P0171, and P0174 lean codes, as the engine will be running lean. It will be literally starving for fuel, and will have low power. I've had to diagnose a few of those in the last 2 years, so I have first hand experience with this. If the car was a flex fuel, then there wont be a problem, it will just get less fuel mileage.
Now those who want to argue with me, you are entitled to your opinion, but that is all it is, an opinion. Feel free to come apply for a job with me, and you can try and prove your opinion.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #44
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

OK, streetglideok, you bring up something very interesting...

I replaced my 2003 KJ's engine with one from an '07 Dakota and had numerous vacuum lines that needed replaced. Until I replaced the bad ones I was getting a consistent P0171 code. Now that same code will show up intermittently - shows up then goes away.

Might it be showing up due to fuel that contains more than 10% ethanol? I've not run straight gas through it yet (really hard to find 100% gas around here) but you've got me thinking...

Jeep runs fine, no stumbling, misfires or other codes. I value your opinion on this one.

Bob

- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #45
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

There are alot of places now selling E15,soon all gas stations will be selling E15.The mixing of ethanol is done when they fill the tanker trucks and is not constant so you can have E18 one day or E8 the next.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.