Engine light came on? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Engine light came on?

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
Maybe I was ova board on the cam shaft. I had a 2000 olds v-6 and the damage could of been caused by the weak head gaskets.

But no one can tell me this corn gas helps amercian engines.

This stuff is BAD NEWS!
It does not effect the engine in anyway.It's worse for mpg's and worse for your fuel system but as far as mechanical damage to the engine it's not the ethanol doing that.

__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
It does not effect the engine in anyway.It's worse for mpg's and worse for your fuel system but as far as mechanical damage to the engine it's not the ethanol doing that.
Thats just a opinion.
I respect your opinion, but I do not agree.
There has been too much studies on this blended gas to say its ok to burn in USA cars/trucks.
I can not speak for imports. I only drive Jeeps.

"Grains such as corn ..... Using ethanol blends for a long time will harm an automotive engine."
Its a fact man.

I will never go back to GAS A HOL!

Keep using it if you want.

But I told you so.

peace.
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
Thats just a opinion.
I respect your opinion, but I do not agree.
There has been too much studies on this blended gas to say its ok to burn in USA cars/trucks.
I can not speak for imports. I only drive Jeeps.

"Grains such as corn ..... Using ethanol blends for a long time will harm an automotive engine."
Its a fact man.

I will never go back to GAS A HOL!

Keep using it if you want.

But I told you so.

peace.
The only part of the engine that gas even contacts is the injectors(any engine made in the last 20 years) and the combustion chamber.If it's anywhere else you got some mechanical problems since gas does not belong anywhere else and even pure gas will do the same amount of damage as E10 and E15.

So in short ethanol does not damage your engine in anyway if it's in good mechanical condition.It won't hurt the combustion chamber either so that leaves the fuel system that is effected by it,the only system effected by it besides your wallet.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The only part of the engine that gas even contacts is the injectors(any engine made in the last 20 years) and the combustion chamber.If it's anywhere else you got some mechanical problems since gas does not belong anywhere else and even pure gas will do the same amount of damage as E10 and E15.

So in short ethanol does not damage your engine in anyway if it's in good mechanical condition.It won't hurt the combustion chamber either so that leaves the fuel system that is effected by it,the only system effected by it besides your wallet.
I respect your opinion !

But I know many people that have boats.Thus,they would strongly oppose you on this notion on corn gas.

The problem with this gas is "H20" Corn will draw water in your system.
I am not a super tech,but I have done much research on this Gas. And H20 is not good on any engines.

I have to say I have lost too many small engines to this stuff to approve it to anyone.
To those that may not be alble to purchase "real" gas.

This may help Lucas.

If you agree that this E-15 is great stuff, just ignore my post.

Peace.
lucas.gif  
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 240
"(any engine made in the last 20 years)"

I have a rebuilt AMC engine in my 94 Cherokee.

There is no way its "flex fuel" ready. So.... What do gear heads like me do with old "iron clad" engines that do not run on flex fuels?
You see my point? I posted this in here with the notion that this info would help and resolve the harmful effects this gas has on these older 4x4's.

I know for a fact when I burn pure gas in my 2012 wrangler "Pentastar" engine it runs smoother, and gets a extra 5 mpg !

Yes I know Honda Nissan, etc... have this down . But what about the rest of us that do not drive" rice burners"? Thats what I'm saying.
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
"(any engine made in the last 20 years)"

I have a rebuilt AMC engine in my 94 Cherokee.

There is no way its "flex fuel" ready. So.... What do gear heads like me do with old "iron clad" engines that do not run on flex fuels?
You see my point? I posted this in here with the notion that this info would help and resolve the harmful effects this gas has on these older 4x4's.

I know for a fact when I burn pure gas in my 2012 wrangler "Pentastar" engine it runs smoother, and gets a extra 5 mpg !

Yes I know Honda Nissan, etc... have this down . But what about the rest of us that do not drive" rice burners"? Thats what I'm saying.
E10 and E15 is not E85 which is what flexfuel vehicles can run.

The whole issue with marine engines and E10 is all in the fuel system,not the mechanical operation of the engine.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 240
Again, its one of those issues thats going to get worse imo
One time at a local gas station they delivered gas that had over 10% corn in it by mistake.

Oh yes the wrecker service was very busy that day.

I say live and let live.
But Drive jeeps!
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 240
This may tick off a few peeps,but we fly this banner high...USA proud!

Go USA!
gman.jpg  
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
WOW

I am not sure a 4.0 L engine is designed to run on that

My old 1988 pioneer's hand book said 10% max on the corn. The old warranty would not cover engine damage from that other stuff.

Too bad.

I have been hearing more and more techs seeing extinctive cam damage from engines that have used the higher content of corn. We have a major prob in the future imo.
I've routinely used E10, in my ZJ. I've also used E30 and E85 with no problems...
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
I've routinely used E10, in my ZJ. I've also used E30 and E85 with no problems...
I think thats great.

But for my hard earned $$$$.....

I am going to stick with the real gas.

I may be getting around 28 mpg on this "ATK" 4.0L with this stuff.

Oh yea

I will take this to the bank
Its up to each person imo.
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
I've routinely used E10, in my ZJ. I've also used E30 and E85 with no problems...
One Question?
Do you ever have "hard" start ups?
Or ever need to have to add cleaners/etc to your fuel system?
Thanks.
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry, va
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
I've routinely used E10, in my ZJ. I've also used E30 and E85 with no problems...
Now I will say right now you may get by with the e85 in your jeep,But.....
That check engine light will come on!
Studies have shown,, continuing to operate the non-FFV with the check engine light (CEL) illuminated may also cause damage to the catalytic converter as well as to the engine pistons if allowed to persist.
Most green techs will swear to you that this corn gas does no damage to the engine. I do not agree.
94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
Now I will say right now you may get by with the e85 in your jeep,But.....
That check engine light will come on!
Studies have shown,, continuing to operate the non-FFV with the check engine light (CEL) illuminated may also cause damage to the catalytic converter as well as to the engine pistons if allowed to persist.
Most green techs will swear to you that this corn gas does no damage to the engine. I do not agree.
It's a '93 with OBD 1 computer and is not as fussy as OBD 2 computers in the '96 and newer. The CEL has never come on running any of the "corn gas" combinations so I don't know what to tell you.... It's my beater Jeep that I keep around and it has 193k on it and it doesn't owe me anything. If it took a dump tomorrow,I'd keep it around for parts and find another one.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
One Question?
Do you ever have "hard" start ups?
Or ever need to have to add cleaners/etc to your fuel system?
Thanks.
E10 and E30 don't cause any start-up issues. E85 will sometimes cause it to sputter briefly at 30* or colder but in the summertime it is fine. I will run some Lucas fuel treatment in it when I service it and that's 1-2 times a year...
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
olliehopnoodle
Registered User
1982 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mesa, az
Posts: 1,056
Here in AZ all of the gas has 10% ethanol. I drive a 1973 Ford as well as a 1982 Cherokee that has a 70's Javilen 401 in it.

The ENGINE itself is not hurt by the ethanol. The reduced power can cause pinging but adjustements in the timing are easily done. The fuel system, on the other hand, can have issues. On the jeep specifically I get vapor lock at higher altitudes after running for a while. The fuel gets warm and the ethanol is more likely to vapor.

Your do know that Nascar has been running 15% for over a season now right?
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...rformance.html

Your arguments are weak.

That said. I think it is stupid to add ethanol to fuel. There is no cost/environment benefit. We shouldn't be using our food as fuel.
__________________
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.