Engine light came on? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Engine light came on?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Engine light came on?

My Wife has a 2005 JK.
At over 120K it is in great cond. All new tranny fluids etc... and no leaks!
But one fri afternoon after she fueled up and the "Engine block" appears! The Book says it could be a bad cap or bad gas.
Well unlike me, she uses that "Ethanol" crap gas all the time. So I started fueling her Jeep with real gas with the Lucas additive. I unpluged the battery terminal to reset the OBC/computer. After 150 miles or more, no more codes/ lights. Did the better gas with Lucas fix the prob?

94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Next time the light comes on hold down the odometer button and turn the key from off to on 3 times the 3rd time leave the key in the on position and the code will come up where the miles are and report back.
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Pigpen72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain98xj View Post
Next time the light comes on hold down the odometer button and turn the key from off to on 3 times the 3rd time leave the key in the on position and the code will come up where the miles are and report back.
Do this.

I don't hold the odometer button down though.

Bet its the cat sensors.
Pigpen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And whatever the fault it it must happen on 3 consecutive times to pop on the light.
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen72 View Post
Do this.

I don't hold the odometer button down though.

Bet its the cat sensors.
You know I have noticed a lot of ping and ticks around that area of her Jeep after a trip...

You may have hit on something there.

O2 sensor?
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It could be but o2s dont usually make noises. Just wait till the light comes back on post the code and we can help you out
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

250 miles later no codes?

Gas cap? I did change that as well as the Corn Gas.

Wow.
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Nickgbp
2013 JK Wrangler 

We have a 2005 Liberty limited with 126xxx miles, and since the day it was new, it has run on 10% Ethanol (Corn Gas) and I can say that I have had no issues related to fuel. (Im not here to push ethanol, just saying what I use)
The problem with changing two or more things at the same time, makes it difficult to determine which change fixed the problem.
Im going out on a limb here and say your gas cap fixed the issue.
The evap system needs to see 2 or 3 psi in the system to work properly, if the gas cap is not holding that presure the computer will trip a light.
Nickgbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickgbp View Post
We have a 2005 Liberty limited with 126xxx miles, and since the day it was new, it has run on 10% Ethanol (Corn Gas) and I can say that I have had no issues related to fuel. (Im not here to push ethanol, just saying what I use)
The problem with changing two or more things at the same time, makes it difficult to determine which change fixed the problem.
Im going out on a limb here and say your gas cap fixed the issue.
The evap system needs to see 2 or 3 psi in the system to work properly, if the gas cap is not holding that presure the computer will trip a light.
I hear ya.

But I hate corn gas and hope and pray the US will stop using it.

I remember yrs ago Crown introduced that crap and it destroyed my mower.
More that likley you are correct on the gas cap thing. Thats a cheap fix imo!

But I will never run corn gas in my 94 Cherokee Jeep.
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Georgeandkira

tell me where, what's the hubbub, I think it stinks

Hello, 1) I was lead to a website which listed "every 100% gas" gas station in the USA. Every one visited was closed. South from NYC into So. Carolina and west from the same point to Nashville, TN. Easily 20 of them; all closed. Also, EVERY fuel pump in Vermont has a black and white sticker on it saying there is no corn in the fuel (I'm paraphrasing). The stickers look like the old "CONTAINS LEAD" stickers from a bygone era. There is no "100% gas" gas in Vermont (according to the website); just peeling, faded stickers on pumps. Do tell where you get real gas. 2) A 1999 4.0L Cherokee in the family travelled >171K on 10% to 15% ethanol without problem. 3) I too am not championing the stuff. Buying subsidized grain and converting it to alcohol for sale to the petroleum industry seems like the stuff of sweetheart deals and back-room government croneyism. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

No question you can run these 4.0 l on 10% corn. But you will have alot of cleaning to do after.

I would start at the Throttle body and work my way down to the cams.
Maybe soon they will go back to 100% gas in all areas soon!

Peace/
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
No question you can run these 4.0 l on 10% corn. But you will have alot of cleaning to do after.

I would start at the Throttle body and work my way down to the cams.
Maybe soon they will go back to 100% gas in all areas soon!

Peace/
Not likely to happen anytime soon as they just authorized the sale nation wide of E15 as the standard fuel in place of E10.
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Not likely to happen anytime soon as they just authorized the sale nation wide of E15 as the standard fuel in place of E10.
WOW

I am not sure a 4.0 L engine is designed to run on that

My old 1988 pioneer's hand book said 10% max on the corn. The old warranty would not cover engine damage from that other stuff.

Too bad.

I have been hearing more and more techs seeing extinctive cam damage from engines that have used the higher content of corn. We have a major prob in the future imo.
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
WOW

I am not sure a 4.0 L engine is designed to run on that

My old 1988 pioneer's hand book said 10% max on the corn. The old warranty would not cover engine damage from that other stuff.

Too bad.

I have been hearing more and more techs seeing extinctive cam damage from engines that have used the higher content of corn. We have a major prob in the future imo.
The fuel used has no effect on the cams,it's the oil used which the 4slow requires oil with higher zinc content but higher zinc content will kill OBDII cat's fast.
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe I was ova board on the cam shaft. I had a 2000 olds v-6 and the damage could of been caused by the weak head gaskets.

But no one can tell me this corn gas helps amercian engines.

This stuff is BAD NEWS!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.