Engine light after stuttering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Engine light after stuttering

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
ElectricFlow

Engine light after stuttering

Engine light started flashing after car made a rumbling/stuttering noise/feel. When accelerating past 50mph. After that it even idled poorly. I got my jeep fixed recently and was told my PVC hose was cracked however they did not replace it do to lack of part. Could this be causing the problem? Can I use a standard PVC hose and bend it to the right shape? Sorry for bad wording typing on phone.

ElectricFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
teamfast
2007 KJ Liberty 

Can you run an OBD scan to see what code came up?
It may not be related to your PVC.
teamfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

Do you have to have a scanner for engine codes? I read you can just cycle the key from "off" to "accessory" 3 times it'll put it's own codes on the odometer.

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
ElectricFlow

I am at work now. I will check for codes when I make it home. Will post an update

Thanks
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
ElectricFlow

I have errors 300. 304. 305
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
ElectricFlow

The other work I had done to the jeep was replacing the valve cover gaskets. Could the Shop of done something during the repair?
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

300 = misfire
304 = misfire cylinder 4
305 = misfire cylinder 5

Could have been mechanical/electrical failure but I don't have much experience with engine problems, I'd wait for some our KJ veterans to chime in.

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
teamfast
2007 KJ Liberty 

Had any water on the engine recently? The spark plugs are in such a spot that if there is any moisture in there it cant escape. Youll have to remove the coils, dry them out and blow out any standing water from where the plugs are installed. Dont remove the plugs until you blow it out.
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
ElectricFlow

Up date

Found the problem, They removed the Coolant hose during the repair (the hose that runs above the engine back to the tank). It started leaking down onto the engine right on the spark plug areas (I am guessing 4 and 5). I stopped the leak for the most part. Taking it back in to get the leak stopped better and have them clean it up.

Question tho. on The coolant tank the nipple that the hose goes on, does it have the raise part all the way around it? or just half way around it. (Mine only has it half way, trying to see if its broken)
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Backroads

Not to be the messenger of bad news but mine has been throwing a cel for cyl 4 misfire and its a blown headgasket. Hopefully yours in recent repair related.
Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
ElectricFlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
Had any water on the engine recently? The spark plugs are in such a spot that if there is any moisture in there it cant escape. Youll have to remove the coils, dry them out and blow out any standing water from where the plugs are installed. Dont remove the plugs until you blow it out.

Good call on the liquid
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
ElectricFlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads View Post
Not to be the messenger of bad news but mine has been throwing a cel for cyl 4 misfire and its a blown headgasket. Hopefully yours in recent repair related.

Ouch, whats the repair bill on that?
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
teamfast
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricFlow View Post
Good call on the liquid
Thanks, I pressure wash my engines in the spring and one time the Liberty gave me misfires about two days after. It was this issue. Now I am sure to use a blow nozzle and get any standing water out of there.
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
ElectricFlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
Thanks, I pressure wash my engines in the spring and one time the Liberty gave me misfires about two days after. It was this issue. Now I am sure to use a blow nozzle and get any standing water out of there.
Pressure washing the engine does not cause any other problems? Do you remove the battery prior to washing? just wondering
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
teamfast
2007 KJ Liberty 

Nah, I have read that i should be covering elec connections and such but i generally give everything a hose down and not put any pressure on the CPU/ECU and actual connections. I hate working on a dirty engine. And if you dont do your own work your mechanic will appreciate it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.