Engine dies in stop-n-go traffic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Engine dies in stop-n-go traffic

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Tiras
2002 KJ Liberty 

Engine dies in stop-n-go traffic

My Jeep (Liberty 2002) with 113K miles. Had no problems in the past. Now there is. The car is dying when stops in traffic, unless put in neutral and then again in drive. Otherwise it starts vibrating and dies. You need to start it up again. The RPM is okay between 600-700.

Changes spark plugs recently and was running fine for a while. Changing oil/filter regularly.

Engine light is off.

What could be the problem? Please advice..

Tiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
x99j

try cleaning the throttle body. its free if you do it!

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
sa_9933
2004 KJ Liberty 

air filter? TPS sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter? It takes spark, fuel, and oxygen to run. my guess is fuel pump or filter is out. I don't think the check engine light would come on for that.
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Opticalx007
2006 KJ Liberty 

Need more info... Have you noticed if the engine light comes on and then goes off or does it just stay off? Have you noticed any changes in rpms prior to shut off? Do you have isses with high idle periods when you start it up? If so, it sounds like a throtle body issue... Had a similar issue in my '88 xj, turns out it was the throtle body getting stuck in certain postions causing a high idle or causing it to shutter and die... Try cleaning it and the mass air flow sensor and that should take care of it... If not see your local shop for diagnosis...
Opticalx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

This is totally random, and it is just a suggestion. I had the same problem last few weeks. 1997 jeep grand cherokee, 102,000 miles. I checked throttle body, idle air control (go through all that, very easy to clean and check) transmission, etc. It wasn't anything I could visualize and or troubleshoot. Took it to the shop today and they were airing on the side of electrical. All it took was the mechanic to knock the computer module and it stuttered, it was a connection issue or a broken pin. During start/stop and while driving off highway where the road has more bumps and such it would shake and cut out on me. We were going to replace it, but after taking it off to inspect (he couldn't check and re-soder, chrysler put a goo jell in there so you can't do anything with it) and replugging it back in, the jeep works fine. I'm just going to see how it performs over the next week as the computer modules are a few weeks out at the dealership and at least in the 1997 is a dealer only item.

Something to check out, its supposibly common in the mid 90s jeeps, and can present with a whole bunch of symptoms, I dont know about the KJ but it might be an idea.

Good luck
Crager soft 8-32x10.5x15 AT
Kevinsoffroad Radiator support/tow hooks
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The fact that it doesn't do it when you put it in neutral and you're not mentioning having problems while driving tells you that it's the transmission sticking into gear when you go to a stop.

A lack of transmission fluid is all it takes to cause just that. Run the engine, check the level, top it off with ATF+4. Make sure you go though all the gear (P, D, N, R...) and recheck.

Have you done a trans and filter flush after that many miles on it?
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Tiras
2002 KJ Liberty 

Okay just cleaned the throttle body. Sprayed the whole cleanning can. Things better now. It doesn't die when stops or in traffic.
However, going around say 30 mph and tromp on the gas the jeep doesn't not down shift and accelerate? The RPMs go up to 5K but it just doesn't 'jump'. Did I screwed up some TPS switch or something else?
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Tiras
2002 KJ Liberty 

Start stalling dying again on stops. It was better at some point, but maybe just a luck. What else could be wrong?
Unread 06-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiras View Post
Okay just cleaned the throttle body. Sprayed the whole cleanning can. Things better now. It doesn't die when stops or in traffic. However, going around say 30 mph and tromp on the gas the jeep doesn't not down shift and accelerate? The RPMs go up to 5K but it just doesn't 'jump'. Did I screwed up some TPS switch or something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiras View Post
Start stalling dying again on stops. It was better at some point, but maybe just a luck. What else could be wrong?
My opinion is the throttle body was dirty and needed cleaning anyway but that's not your root problem. I believe the tranny needs some maintenance, and quickly.

As a previous poster said, check the transmission fluid level after you've driven for about 30 minutes by putting on your emergency brake, shifting into neutral, and checking the fluid level. It should be at the Full line. If it isn't full, low fluid is what is causing the stalls at stops and also why the transmission isn't shifting down when you floor the accelerator. You said the engine is revving but the tranny isn't shifting down - that is a transmission problem. Think of it like your transmission is starved for fluid; without proper fluid levels the tranny can't do it's job.

If you haven't had a complete fluid flush and new filter now is the time to do it. I suggest you do so soon...

Bob
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
Tiras
2002 KJ Liberty 

Just changed the transmission fuild and filters. The problem is still there...
Unread 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Recheck the fluid level. The fluid will spread across the tranny after a flush and level might have to be adjusted again.
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
Tiras
2002 KJ Liberty 

Just cleaned the IAC valve. So far so good. Question - that solenoid plunger stick. Does it have to go back and forth easily? Its very very hard to move. Anyways, I cleaned that stick and the mounting hole.
Need to drive more to see if helps.
Will report back later.

Thanks.
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Tiras
2002 KJ Liberty 

Help...
Cleaned the throttle body last week.
Jeep liberty 02 114K miles.
Engine light is not on. Scanned, no codes.

Just changed the transmission fluid and filters. No help either.

Once stopped the RPM struggling and finally stops. Starting engine back no problem. Also if I idle RPM to very high like 4-5 and release the padal the engine dies too. Doesn't hold low RPM after immediate high.

Changes IAC valve - same thing. Changed TPS - same..

Any ideas guys?
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

This could be a different problem. Sounds a lot like a fuel issue - wouldn't throw a code. Have you ever changed the fuel filter?
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Tiras
2002 KJ Liberty 

Okay I just got scanned by the professional scanner:

P0867 - line pressure fault
P0218 - high temperature opeation activated
P0868 - line pressure low fault

The tranny shop guy said that the transmission valve needs to be cleaned and this is like $600-700.
Does that sound normal?
I thought when the tranny fluid replaced it should be cleaned.. no?

Please advice...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.