Electrical Issues on 2006 Jeep Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Electrical Issues on 2006 Jeep Liberty

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
jfcap
2006 KJ Liberty 

Electrical Issues on 2006 Jeep Liberty

Jut trying to see if I am on the right track...

Here is a list of things that are going on with my 2006 Jeep Liberty. All the the issues didn't happen at the same time, and new things are popping up as time goes on.

-Windshield wipers don't always turn on (sometimes they come on after leaving the switch on for 5 minutes, other times instantly). -- Multiswitch has been replaced, with no effect

-Power locks don't work from driver/passenger door (remote key works just fine)

-Sometimes when turning on my headlights my dashboard/radio will blackout and the car will make a 'ding' noise

-Sometimes headlights do not turn off when I turn them off and then turn my car off

-When starting my car, sometimes the dashboard/radio with black out and make the same 'ding' noise as above

-Left/Right rear brake lights do not work (bulbs are all ok, fuses are ok as well)

Could this be a bad body control module? We also discovered last night that under the driver dash, a lot of the wires seem to be tapped into for an aftermarket alarm. This was done before I bought the car, so I am not sure what it is or if it could be the issue.

From what I am reading online, all of these systems seem to be linked to the BCM. I just want to see if anyone else has any ideas before I go out and buy a new BCM.

Thanks for your help,

jfcap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcap View Post
Jut trying to see if I am on the right track...

Here is a list of things that are going on with my 2006 Jeep Liberty. All the the issues didn't happen at the same time, and new things are popping up as time goes on.

-Windshield wipers don't always turn on (sometimes they come on after leaving the switch on for 5 minutes, other times instantly). -- Multiswitch has been replaced, with no effect

-Power locks don't work from driver/passenger door (remote key works just fine)

-Sometimes when turning on my headlights my dashboard/radio will blackout and the car will make a 'ding' noise

-Sometimes headlights do not turn off when I turn them off and then turn my car off

-When starting my car, sometimes the dashboard/radio with black out and make the same 'ding' noise as above

-Left/Right rear brake lights do not work (bulbs are all ok, fuses are ok as well)

Could this be a bad body control module? We also discovered last night that under the driver dash, a lot of the wires seem to be tapped into for an aftermarket alarm. This was done before I bought the car, so I am not sure what it is or if it could be the issue.

From what I am reading online, all of these systems seem to be linked to the BCM. I just want to see if anyone else has any ideas before I go out and buy a new BCM.

Thanks for your help,

I would first suspect the aftermarket alarm system and would try to remove it completely.

As far as the rear brake lights are concerned....does the high level third brake light work?

A lot of electrical faults are caused by a bad battery or bad battery connections such as the negative lead going to the chassis and the lead that grounds the engine to the chassis.

You can get these "ding" noises when turning lights etc. ON if the +12 volts drops too low or goes too high...usually will "ding" if the voltage goes up to about 17 volts. You can fit a voltmeter into your cigar lighter socket/extra power socket on the dash and have a look at what the voltage is doing at the time of these "funnies" and "dings"

Before re-programming/replacing the BCM I would re-plug all the connections going to the BCM/Junction board...the BCMs are quite robust in nature.

The front wiper gets voltage from a self-reseting circuit breaker number 3 on the junction block which is behind the internal fuse panel....this is supposed to cut power to the wiper if there is a jam and then it resets itself when it cools down....there are also two wiper relays in the fuse box under the hood which could need swapping out......could have a bad ground somewhere on the wiper circuit.

The circuit diagram shows where circuit breaker number 3 is.
img.jpg

Unread 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
jfcap
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thank you for the reply!

The top rear brake light still worked.

We tried unplugging the aftermarket alarm, and the brake lights suddenly worked. However the car wouldn't start. Plugged it back in, and the brake lights still work! Also, the power locks will lock the door but not unlock the doors. Guess I need to have the alarm removed by someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks again,
jfcap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.