Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Electrical/Brake light Issue

526 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BLKDRGN70 
#1 ·
2003 KJ. My daughter busted the drivers side turn signal light a while back. We had it replaced by a friend "mechanic". Since then the inside dome light doesn't come on when the door is opened. The break lights won't work when the pedal is pushed, but light up when the lights are turned on. (have replaced both bulbs). The turn signal light in question doesn't work with just the lights on, but does when the turn signal is activated. I have looked at the fuse in the drivers side panel and in the box under the hood ( I think I looked at the right ones). Any advice?

#2 ·
Some could be a coincidence and I'm not great with electronics. The drivers side marker/turn signal light sounds like it was not installed correctly. I'm assuming they had to do more than just remove a broken housing and plug a new one in. Sounds like some wiring was damaged. Most vehicles have a way to shut off the dome light for times when you need to leave a door open for a while. Do you have an owners manual? Could the dome light issue be the little slider you rotate on the multi-function stalk. I believe if it is rotated in one direction the dome lights will not come on, I know if it is rotated all the way opposite, the dome light stays on. Maybe some other switch is off in the rear area? When you say the brake lights come on with the lights on, do you mean all three or are you talking about just the tail light coming on but the brake lights don't work with the pedal? If the brake lights don't work with the brake pedal, it could be the switch on the pedal.

#3 ·
FIXED!!!

You are correct. The dome light was operator error. I replaced the break light bulbs, switched the bulbs around, but to no avail. I was cleaning it out yesterday and found a strange white box with a black plunger looking thing on it. It was lying in the corner of the drivers side floor board. Well, as you guessed, it was my break switch. I replaced it, but again to no avail. Started checking the fuses. Come to find out, the #12 fuse was actually put in the #11 slot. Switched out the fuse and it was like magic. I have break lights. I replaced a bulb in the drivers side turn signal also and now all the lights are working properly. On to the next project!

Reactions: 02blue
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.