Door won't open & window won't stay up! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Door won't open & window won't stay up!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
jlesterbenson

Door won't open & window won't stay up!

Hi!

My mom has a 2004 Jeep Liberty... Her passenger-side rear door will not open from the inside or outside... it is unlocked (and we've tried locking and unlocking). Her window mechanism is also not working, so the window falls down... I am thinking the two are related. She was driving it yesterday, flushing hot air out of Jeep... went to raise the window... ugly, unhappy noise from window... and now it and the door aren't working. Any ideas? Is there a recall on this mechanism? It seems like a safety hazard to be unable to open a door...

Thank you!
JLB

jlesterbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
blaster55

there is a child lock on door, might be it. When door is open, you can see it, use a flat screwdriver to unlatch. the window is a known problem, have replaced 3 on my 04. there is a plastic part that breaks on the regulator, you can get a metal replacement part from Stiger Performance, that I used to fix the left rear window over the weekend. Took about 1 hr to change. Should be a long term fix, the ones from dealer are junk, and will cost about 300.00 installed and the other is 100.00 for part and looks to be a good fix.
blaster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
JeepCares

The two might not be related. The problem with the door could be the lock rod (something became detached) or the latch.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
ntiska

Same problem on driver side rear door / window

@ jlesterbenson
I have the same problem on the drivers side rear door on my 2006 liberty. The door latch will open the first stage latch, but will not unlatch the second and final stage of the latch. It is the same case whether I try to open from the inside or the outside, so it can't be the child lock. Both problems happened at the same time, so I thought they were related.

I was able to pull the inner panel off without opening the door, but found no obstruction with the latching mechanism, so I believe now that it is 2 separate unrelated issues.

Were you ever able to get your door to fully unlatch? If so, could you please let me know what the problem was and how you fixed it?

Thx
ntiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
sapoliberty

They are related problems. When the window regulater fails it can jam the flexible window cable into the lock mechanism.
Pull the panel off and pull out the regulater. Prop up the window with a stick until you are ready to replace it.
sapoliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
ntiska

You are correct. The splined cable on the window regulator shot out of the guide tube and somehow jammed itself in the latch. Noticed the issue the next day when I had better lighting and fixed it over the weekend. Thanks.
ntiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My friend is having this issue with her Liberty and it has me stumped. At first it was just the window, but now the door won't open. So you guys were able to pop the door panel with the door closed??? Assuming you're just popping the top part off so you can reach down in there and open the door?
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.