Do I have a 45RFE? And a 45RFE upgrade question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Do I have a 45RFE? And a 45RFE upgrade question...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

Do I have a 45RFE? And a 45RFE upgrade question...

It's a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport I've slowly been upgrading. Build date is August of 2002. And if it is a 45RFE... Is there a way to upgrade it to a 545RFE, because I have heard if I am not mistaken that it adds a fifth gear.
Might be worth it for me on the highway...

2003 Jeep KJ Liberty Sport with 3" Lift Rockfather Deluxe Lift from RRO (It was a gift from my grandparents back off, it was a thanksgiving surprise when they picked me up from the airport, and I saw it lifted) with all OME shocks, and front OME coils, ARB Steel bumper. 2 12" Kenwood Subs, 300 Watt RMS Mono Amp, Alpine Type-S door speakers
jewfromdahood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
oldfamilyguy

the good news is that trans if you have it should outlive everything else on the truck. bad news is what you heard about reflashing for the 5th gear. its simple enough, but dealer only has the software and applies to earlier Grand Cherokee WJ models with 4.7' s and not libbies. Now maybe someone has figured it out, I guess its possible. I looked into it a bit some time ago for my daughters lib but never found anything, but I didn't look that hard really.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewfromdahood View Post
It's a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport I've slowly been upgrading. Build date is August of 2002. And if it is a 45RFE... Is there a way to upgrade it to a 545RFE, because I have heard if I am not mistaken that it adds a fifth gear.
Might be worth it for me on the highway...
Count the number of bolts in the transmission pan. If you have 13 bolts you have the 42RLE; if you have 15 bolts you have the 45RFE.

As for changing the gearing - nope. That is set in the computer and as far as I know there is no way to change it. HOWEVER...

tjkj2002 may be able to offer more credible information than I can have since I've never had to contemplate the good fortune of having a 45RFE. My '03 Libby is blessed with the 42...

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Having a 5th gear would be awesome for all the hwy driving I do.
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.