Which differentials do I have? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Which differentials do I have?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Which differentials do I have?

How do I tell which differentials I have on my '06? I've noticed that there are different models (like the Dana 30 etc.) but I can't seem to find a run-down of the differences, which are better for certain circumstances, and most importantly, how to tell what I have.

I want to change my fluid this weekend and would rather not choose the wrong fluid. Thanks for the help!

Unread 07-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
dirtrider66
1999 TJ Wrangler 

All TJs along with the unlimited come with a Dana 30 up front. Except if you have the Rubicon model, that has a Dana 44 in the front and the rear. I believe that the unlimited came with a Dana 44 rear because of the extra weight. Most TJs come with a Dana 35 in the rear, but some had a Dana 44 from the factory. You can tell because a Dana 35 has an oval shaped differential cover with a rubber fill plug in it. The Dana 44 has a different shape (I don't know how to describe it) and it also has a metal screw thing as a drain plug.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider66
All TJs along with the unlimited come with a Dana 30 up front. Except if you have the Rubicon model, that has a Dana 44 in the front and the rear. I believe that the unlimited came with a Dana 44 rear because of the extra weight. Most TJs come with a Dana 35 in the rear, but some had a Dana 44 from the factory. You can tell because a Dana 35 has an oval shaped differential cover with a rubber fill plug in it. The Dana 44 has a different shape (I don't know how to describe it) and it also has a metal screw thing as a drain plug.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
This is in the liberty. Forum section so I think it's for his liberty not tj
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What diff you have doesn't make a different for fluid you just want gear oil and if you have a limited slip make sure to add the additive. But if you log on to jeep in the owners section you can enter your vin and find what diff you really have if you like
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieWildcat View Post
How do I tell which differentials I have on my '06? I've noticed that there are different models (like the Dana 30 etc.) but I can't seem to find a run-down of the differences, which are better for certain circumstances, and most importantly, how to tell what I have.

I want to change my fluid this weekend and would rather not choose the wrong fluid. Thanks for the help!
You have a D30A in the front and 8.25 in the rear,no need for friction modifier as you have a '06.
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Dana 30A's are not super strong, but adequate for a Liberty, as long as you do not push them. If you do, they will go boom. There is a steel housed upgraded unit available out there, other then that, anything else will be custom.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeffrey View Post
What diff you have doesn't make a different for fluid you just want gear oil and if you have a limited slip make sure to add the additive. But if you log on to jeep in the owners section you can enter your vin and find what diff you really have if you like
Ha, I've been trying to do that for several days now. I keep getting the error:

(ERR_106) System is not available at this time, Please try again later

when trying to add a vehicle. I've tried it on different browsers, so the problem is not on my end.
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
You have a D30A in the front and 8.25 in the rear,no need for friction modifier as you have a '06.
Okay, so dumb question then: The manual says to add the modifier if I have Trac-Lok. Does this differential have Trac-Lok? I've seen when I lose traction, the ESP light starts flashing as it figures out what to do.

Thanks for the clarification on what I've got at least.
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Dana 30A's are not super strong, but adequate for a Liberty, as long as you do not push them. If you do, they will go boom. There is a steel housed upgraded unit available out there, other then that, anything else will be custom.
What do you mean by 'push them'? I've gone mudding a few times and here in Kansas we like pre-plow fields in the winter and early spring. Do you mean something closer to rock-crawling? Towing? What are the 30A's limits?

Are they worth upgrading? Can you do that relatively easily (on a scale of oil changes to transmission rebuild)?

Sorry for the follow-up questions. I didn't really think about how little I knew about this part of the vehicle.
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Okay, so dumb question then: The manual says to add the modifier if I have Trac-Lok. Does this differential have Trac-Lok? I've seen when I lose traction, the ESP light starts flashing as it figures out what to do.

Thanks for the clarification on what I've got at least.
There is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb people who ask questions.

An '06 has the 8.25 rear end and does not need the friction modifier.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
What do you mean by 'push them'? I've gone mudding a few times and here in Kansas we like pre-plow fields in the winter and early spring. Do you mean something closer to rock-crawling? Towing? What are the 30A's limits?

Are they worth upgrading? Can you do that relatively easily (on a scale of oil changes to transmission rebuild)?

Sorry for the follow-up questions. I didn't really think about how little I knew about this part of the vehicle.
What streetglideok meant by 'push them' is to get in a situation where the front end is bouncing up and down while in 4WD and trying to move forward or if a wheel gets wedged in such a way as to allow one wheel to spin but not the other. Most of the 'kabooms' I've heard about resulted from those types of situations. A front locker can really help avoid the problem.

Unless you're bouncing while having fun in the Kansas fields you'll be fine. Towing doesn't affect the front diff (unless you're in 4WD and bouncing the front end - which case you have other issues )

Changing out the front diff isn't as big of a deal as swapping transmissions but you'll have the front end scattered around the garage. You need time, a good tool assortment, friends and some liquid refreshment

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
Changing out the front diff isn't as big of a deal as swapping transmissions but you'll have the front end scattered around the garage. You need time, a good tool assortment, friends and some liquid refreshment

Bob
I like your style, Bob. Though it's strange; you spell your name backwards from other Bobs. Never seen that before.

Thanks for the feedback all, I really appreciate it.
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

If you get the front wheels spinning fast, and suddenly hook up traction, the shock load cracks the housing. Its a weak point of the design.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
If you get the front wheels spinning fast, and suddenly hook up traction, the shock load cracks the housing. Its a weak point of the design.
Ding,ding,ding we have a winner.

Now with that being said I wheeled my KJ very hard and when I still had the D30A it was at 5500lbs and I never broke my front D30A,I blew apart a outer CV joint.I also had a DTT installed(and 4.10's) and to "fool it" into locking I used the brake pedal a little which drastically reduced my chances of wheel spin.Was much better for learning how to drive offroad then balls to the wall type that some think is the only way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.