Desperate for diagnostics help for liberty 2002 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
TLD24
2002 KJ Liberty 

Desperate for diagnostics help for liberty 2002

Currently being ripped off in Bulgaria with the car off the road for a while and many repairs later, still have no diagnosis of the problem.. car keeps stalling for no reason with no warning when driving after about 5 miles. So far I have had new oil and fuel filters and no resolve and the Bulgarian mechanics are not familiar with jeeps so now going through the motions and want me to have new injectors now and so it goes on. The jeep was running fine and we drove 1800 to Bulgaria without a problem and apart from stalling mid driving now, there is no issues or signs that something is seriously wrong and I suspect stalling due to a minor problem that a jeep mechanic would be aware of... rather than keep giving out money to the Bulgarians who are seeing this as a money maker and wanting to jump to new injectors which they can not be certain is the problem, can anyone please offer a more proactive approach for what the problem may be and if you know of what may be causing this to happen on a jeep i.e. Standard in jeeps as I am sure it's nothing major.. please help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Robert2005jk

Replace your crankshaft position sensor.
The engine stops running after 5 minutes. And it will not crank back up untill it cools down for a little while? Then it will run and shut off again. Yes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
TLD24
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks I will try that.. can you let me know roughly what the sensor costs ?

post #4 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 10:30 AM
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Do you have an engine warning light? Have you checked for codes?

82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
post #5 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
TLD24
2002 KJ Liberty 

No warning light or any indication whatsoever and it had been running perfectly and was reliable
post #6 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
TLD24
2002 KJ Liberty 

I was told by one garage they had done a diagnostic test and they had changed the sensor for which they charged me 180 and after they had charged me said I needed new injectors at 250 a go.. i refused as I knew no diagnostic test had been done. I said I wanted to take it to another garage for a second opinion and then told me that they had taken the new sensor out again as it was an expensive part but they had only charged me 180 for labour so no refund could be made! They told me that I had to have new injectors urgently as they had been damaged for months but we had driven 1800 miles to bulgaria without one problem whatsoever so I have doubts about it all now
post #7 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 PM
Fireside92
2007 KJ Liberty 

If they removed the part without your consent make them put it back on at no charge, they essentially did not do what you paid them to do. If that sensor doesn't correct your problem, I'll bet someone here on the forums with more knowledge than myself can help. I'd also advise after this to find a different shop. These guys sound like absolute sleezeballs.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-16-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
TLD24
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside92 View Post
If they removed the part without your consent make them put it back on at no charge, they essentially did not do what you paid them to do. If that sensor doesn't correct your problem, I'll bet someone here on the forums with more knowledge than myself can help. I'd also advise after this to find a different shop. These guys sound like absolute sleezeballs.
Well it would seem that the Bulgarian guy who claimed he took it to the garage for us for diagnostic did in fact do it himself and although he claims to have replaced the crank sensor, I think he attempted to clean it. He said it was giving codes (garage said) that an injector would need replacing in the future and he drove it back 23 km to us and then said he was taking it back to garage as he was sure the injector had now gone so had to get fixed. He claims on way back to garage it broke down again.... we are still trying to recover it (he's not being so helpful now) but I am Hoping it may be the crank sensor as if he was able to drive 23km then it's not the injector. On reading this site (and without seeing codes) I am of the opinion it is either the Crank position or the throttle TPS. So seeing as it was only stalling when driving and did always start again and drive for a few km any ideas which one is more likely? Also looking back the problem only started after we nearly burnt out the cluch getting off the beach and I read that dirt etc from that may have stuck to the sensor.... can anyone tell me if this is a possible reason as for it to drive 1800 miles without a problem and then only start stalling now is very odd!! Thanks
post #9 of 14 Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Fireside92
2007 KJ Liberty 

Vehicles don't give codes for what will "need replacing in the future". They give diagnostic trouble codes, nothing more nothing less. If an electronic sensor has failed and is giving off the wrong reading simply cleaning it will not fix the problem. When the sensor itself fails, the only solution is replacement.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-18-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
TLD24
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hi
I have the jeep back now and I checked the codes;
Last two are p0340 crankshaft circuit malfunctions and p1652 power train induced chassis pitch output circuit.... the garage claims they did replace the cps however when I started the jeep it was sounding horrendous (noisy and thuddering) and within seconds smoke was coming from the engine... could it be that the garage did not put it back together properly?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 AM
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLD24 View Post
Hi
I have the jeep back now and I checked the codes;
Last two are p0340 crankshaft circuit malfunctions and p1652 power train induced chassis pitch output circuit.... the garage claims they did replace the cps however when I started the jeep it was sounding horrendous (noisy and thuddering) and within seconds smoke was coming from the engine... could it be that the garage did not put it back together properly?
OK the P0340 is definitely to do with the CPS and is probably your problem.
Firstly only genuine Mopar sensors must be used...there have been lots of reports of pirate CPS sensors failing.
Also the wiring to the sensor could be bad....maybe shorting to the engine.

The P1652 error has nothing to do with the powertrain.....this fault is a communication error caused by someone trying to reset the errors....I would not worry about this.

I tried sending you the relevant documentation for these errors to your e-mail address but it bounced back to me as unsent. I will try to send you this documentation again right now....go through everything as regards the P0340 error especially as regards measuring the CPS leads for breaks or shorts to the engine. Bear in mind that even if you fix the problem...these codes will always remain in storage in the ECM unless cleared by a Dealer with the proper tool!

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Fireside92
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
Bear in mind that even if you fix the problem...these codes will always remain in storage in the ECM unless cleared by a Dealer with the proper tool!
Since when? I've a code reader I've used to clear codes on all three of my cars (jeep included) and they aren't still stored on ECM. Light goes out.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-21-2017, 12:02 AM
Robert2005jk

Kind of hard to use a Mopar cps. According to my dealer they have been discontinued. I've had an advance cps in now for over a year. It's working fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 14 Old 08-21-2017, 02:20 AM
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside92 View Post
Since when? I've a code reader I've used to clear codes on all three of my cars (jeep included) and they aren't still stored on ECM. Light goes out.
Yes you are totally correct....if you are referring to any KJ newer than a 2004 model.

The early KJs use a PCI BUS for communication while the newer KJs use mainly CAN BUS, a little bit of PCI in some areas and some SCSI. These are easily cleared with most scanners but there has been a long ongoing discussion on all the Jeep Forums on the difficulty to find a Scanner that can clear the early KJs PCI BUS errors.....some owners I believe have found a scanner that works!

I went to a Drive-in Bosch Shop here in SA where they do diagnostics etc. on all Bosch modules from ECMs, PCMs, TCMs, ABS, Cruise Controls etc. with their large fancy machines. The guy took one look at the Bosch ECM on my 2002 Export CRD and stated that there was no way they could help me!

So unless the OP can find the correct reader in Bulgaria or visits a Jeep Dealership he needs to accept that those codes are there for ever. On my Jeep I deliberately caused an error...disconnected one of the Glow Plug relays. This caused the appropriate CEL and stored the error....I now use this known code as a "marker" so that any code that I see appearing after my "marker" I know is a new problem.

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.