Dealer Replaced Driver power window regulator but will only go down but not up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Dealer Replaced Driver power window regulator but will only go down but not up

Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
drobbinsusa
2002 KJ Liberty 

Dealer Replaced Driver power window regulator but will only go down but not up

Hello,

I just had my 2002 jeep liberty in to the dealer because the front driver side window wouldn't roll up. The dealer said it was the regulator cable was broke and replaced it but after that the window still would not go up due to some electrical issue. The window will roll down but not go back up. In another thread I ready, someone said to check the switch in the center console. Doesn anyone know how to take that out and check it or have other ideas as to where the problem might be. Has anyone had an electrical issue with the power windows. The other three windows are working fine.

drobbinsusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Jakked

Sounds like once it was put down, you can't get the window back up at all. How do you know the unit didn't fail totally? (I mean, how do you know that the window will still go down if you can't get it back up to test the "down" part?)
1986 Trooper 2.3L I-4 4x4 5-sp
Jakked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
drobbinsusa
2002 KJ Liberty 

The dealer said it was still not working but when I picked it up I did a little test and lowered the window an inch but not all the way down. They I tried to get it back up and nothing happens. So my window is down about an inch or two.
Unread 07-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
drobbinsusa
2002 KJ Liberty 

also, the dealer raised it back up for me so I could drive it. So the window was up all the way when I got it back.
Unread 07-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
GrapeApe
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So did the dealer fix it? It does not sound like they did. Did you pay for repairs? If you did i personally would take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. They should warranty there work. I am local to you, what dealer was it.
GrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
drobbinsusa
2002 KJ Liberty 

I took the Jeep to Royal Oak which is now Mid Rivers Chrysler Jeep Dodge ( I just found that out when I took the Jeep in). When I dropped it off they pretty much thought it was just going to be the regulator which from what I've read is a very common problem with Jeeps. They said they could have it fixed in a couple of hours but later they called me and said that they replaced the regulator but there was still a problem with the electric and that it was going to cost me another 250 for them to find and fix it but they couldn't do it until the next day since they were closing. I told them not to fix it and that I would come by and pick it up and pay for the regulator. I really feel like there was nothing wrong with the regulator in the first place because when it just the regulator, I think you can still here the motor working when you hit the up down switch but I didn't hear anything when I would hit the up down switch.

I read one website that someone had luck disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to get their windows working but that didn't work for me. I've popped out the center piece where all four of the switches are located between the two front seats and it would be easy to disconnect it and try locating a new one but I'm not sure if that is going to solve the problem.

Anyone ever have this sort of issue before?
Unread 10-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
JeepLiberty

2002 Jeep Liberty Window Regulator Failures

We have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and have had to replace 8 regulators, 6 under warranty and 2 after warranty. The Driver Side regulator broke again yesterday. I read online that the block at this link (http://www.pocketlogger.com/?pid=jpw) will work but haven't tried it yet.

In the interest of "word of mouth advertising" if you live in the Phoenix area, never use Power Jeep (or probably any other publicly traded auto dealership). Their customer service creed and mission statement seems to be "the Power Way or the Highway". After physically damaging our vehicle, they would not step up to make it right as well as them losing parts and not replacing them.

Update -

Just replaced the front driver's window regulator. Listed for $265, dealer gave it to me for $225, $245 out the door. (Performance Jeep in Glendale Arizona)

It took about 35 minutes to remove and replace. If you have tinted (film) windows, be sure to secure the glass all the way up so you don't knick the tint film while working the regulator into the door. I used filament packaging tape. Taped one side of the glass up an over the door with the role and taped the other side of the glass. The tape holds pretty good an only needs one strip (less adhesive to remove from your door if it is hot out).

The front regulator is different from the rear and the blocks referenced earlier probably won't work. The cable is actually what was broken.

To remove and replace, all I needed was a Philips head screw driver, #1 flat screw driver (for clips) and a 10mm socket (power driver makes the job go faster).

The door panels come off pretty easily (no fancy clips).

Last edited by JeepLiberty; 10-18-2008 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Replaced the Regulator
JeepLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
SteveBradley
2002 KJ Liberty 

Same problem here. Front passenger window is down about 3 inches, won't move and no motor sound. I have removed the switch assembly and now trying to crack it open to see inside.
SteveBradley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
dagooaz
2004 KJ Liberty 

Hey JeepLiberty, I'm in the Phx area too, never buy a window regulator again. Install the Steiger kit, it works great. I have put their kit on all four of my windows and I haven't had a problem since. It took me about 45 minutes or so per window. And it only costs 90 bucks a window.
Unread 09-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
Carmodifier
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepLiberty View Post
We have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and have had to replace 8 regulators, 6 under warranty and 2 after warranty. The Driver Side regulator broke again yesterday. I read online that the block at this link (Jeep Grand Cherokee Power Window Parts) will work but haven't tried it yet.
Has anyone tried that solid aluminum power window cable block in the posted link yet?
Carmodifier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
dswit
2002 KJ Liberty 

I too am having the same problem with the drivers side window. Put the window down to pay toll and it wouldn't go back up. I was having intermittent problems the previous week. Found a dealership and they said it's the console switch, only problem is they don't make them anymore and it would take over a week and a bunch of money. I've found a few on ebay, I'm going to try and replace the module, see if that works...
dswit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
muscall

Bringing back this old thread with a tip. We have a 2014 jeep wrangler RHD that my wife works out of. A couple days ago she got home and the left rear windows was down and would not roll up. Since we couldn't get it into the dealership for warranty work before it was forecast to rain, I removed the door and carried it around to the right hand side and plugged it into the power connector there. It rolled up, so I reinstalled the door and left the plug disconnected until we can get the dealer to fix the problem.

Hope this helps someone to troubleshoot a similar problem.
muscall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.