daughter car ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > daughter car ?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
huntinguy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

daughter car ?

So, I am thinking about getting my daughter an 06 liberty.

What is the good the bad and the ugly.

Found one with under 100k miles on it.

huntinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

It could be good or could be a POS
All depends on how it was taken care of
Mine is an 04 with 184,000 miles and I'd drive it anywhere with 5 minutes notice
I know of a couple around that have 90,000 miles I wouldn't take to the corner market to pick up a soda
So little more information on condition, vehicle reports , one owner etc
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
huntinguy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I will know more tomorrow

But like the Cherokees, you know you will get a bad heater core and a faulty a/c spool I was hoping to see if the libertys had known issues
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

06-07s are more prone for the window regulators going out on them
thats one thing
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
blakeKJ
2006 KJ Liberty 

I've been lucky after owning it for almost 100K kms (bought at 47k now at 125k)
I've only replaced window regs belt and belt tensioner pulley. Tires and oil. Rebuilt the parking brake system (seized when I bought it)
blakeKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

Is your daughter going to drive a lot? Does she really need an SUV?

Just asking cuz these pigs drink gas, they're heavy and only manage like 15 mpg's city...

Something to think about
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
huntinguy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It is mostly because of ease of parking we are looking at one. She will have to do a lot of parallel parking and knowing where the back is makes it easier.

I think it might be easier to work on than the elantra we are also looking at.
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
tnnstv
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think there are a lot of other cars that are easier for parallel parking.

I bought my daughter a 4WD 2002 Liberty for a number of reasons

High up driving position
4WD available when required
Sport model ( so plenty of black plastic, easily replaced peripheral components)
Relatively cheap to maintain
I like driving and working on it
Simple mechanicals

Drawbacks, some I knew before and some after we bought it

Poor visibility at the rear (spare tire is hard to judge)
Gas consumption (15-18mpg)
No ABS - if I was looking again I'd look for that - it's really easy to lock up on wet roads in an emergency situation
Parts are more expensive than a car - but on the positive side there are plenty of on-line retailers who have OEM and aftermarket parts at good prices. Plus a ready supply of used parts.

As for what to look for in a used one. The obvious used car pit falls

Accident damage
Maintenance records

And for the 3.7

If there is any signs of overheating walk away (look in expansion tank, emulsified oil in sump, water staining in the engine bay)
Leaks underneath
Corrosion on running gear from salt
Off road damage
Uneven tire wear
Stability on the road test
Check function of transfer case (4WD system)
Clunks in the drive train could indicate would transmission, drive shafts
Splits in CV and drive shaft boots mean dirt is in there causing damage
Electric window regulators seem to be an issue on all early model years
Make sure the recalls have been done. Call Chrysler customer service with the VIN and ask, they'll send you the build sheet as well (original configuration built)
tnnstv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

From above
Window regulators are more in the 06-07 years
NOT the early years
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
From above
Window regulators are more in the 06-07 years
NOT the early years
Yeah, most of the window regulator problems were 06-07. There was a fix though. Mine is an 05 and no window regulator problems. 06 and 07 will have the drive-by-wire, ABS, ESC, as standard I believe. 05 and prior the ABS was optional and there was no drive-by wire or ESC in those years..

Also, most of the Ltd (if not all) had the 242 t-case with the full-time option in addition to 4hi and 4lo. Might be easier for her to just put it in full-time option in the winter and not worry if she gets on pavement with that t-case instead of the 231 that was standard. Get the one you are interested in on the dirt and make sure it shifts smooth. Just a thought.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

^^Meant to mention about the keys. Make sure you get 2 working transponder keys because if you don't you will need to go to the dealer and have a second one made/programmed for a couple hundred bucks or so. You need 2 working keys to program a third yourself.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
tnnstv
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good point on the keys. Although not all cars have transponder key (mine doesn't). I think if they do, when you first turn on the ignition a yellow key symbol appears and then extinguishes as it acknowledges the key.

As for the window regulators, both my rears went out on a 2002. Maybe I was unlucky
tnnstv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The 242 t-case(select trac) was a option for all KJ's with auto trans regardless if it was a Limited or Sport(Renagade or other appearance packages) and was only standard on all north american CRD's.Was never offered behind any manual for driveability issues.
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
huntinguy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, we looked at it.....

It only had 74K on it, it sounded good.

The tour around the outside looked fine, no obvious leaks, tire wear was even, hoses felt good, coolant over flow tank wasn't full of crud... we were looking good.

Opened the door... It looked like an espresso stand exploded in it. How the heck do you get coffee stains on the head liner? I am not sure what color the interior was, it looked like maybe ... milk mixed with strawberry jelly with a slight tinting of something gray.

I thought well, may as well take it for a test drive... I found where they stored their peanut butter when I put my fingers into the door handle to close it...

It really did feel nice to ride it and everything looked fine as far as the drive went. I really liked it. But... if that is the kind of care they took to it... what do you think the real maintenance was like????

With a starting price of $14K I didn't even feel the need to waste my time asking what bottom was.

For $10k we drove home a Elantra with 23k on it. True no 4x4 so she may have to learn to put on chains but it had the dealers maintenance records. Oil done ever 4k and every service done on schedule.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.