Cylinder problems 05 Liberty Anyone else? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Cylinder problems 05 Liberty Anyone else?

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 11-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
nightlystars

Cylinder problems 05 Liberty Anyone else?

I am currently driving a 05 liberty, just bought it 13 months ago, only has 56 thousand miles on it. And has been in the shop off and on since this summer. Check engine light came on in August, took it to get checked, came up cylinder 5 miss fire. Replaced spark plugs, light came on about 3 weeks to a month later, read again new engine coil. Again about 2 weeks later the light comes on AGAIN. I take it to the dealership down the road to get it looked @ and he said that he has been seeing a rash of problems with the one cylinder miss firing. Took it back to my mechanic and he preformed a compression test, sure enough Cylinder 5 is not holding full compression like it should. Has anyone else had this kind of issue?

nightlystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
satgdave

Make sure it's not the coil pack on top of where the sparkplug is located.. the advice I can give u is the coil packs are so damn sensitive and they cost like $50 a peace.. when I was changing my spark plugs one of my coil packs rolled off my fender and kaput it went...
satgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
satgdave

Mark a coil pack with a piece of masking tape marking the possibly fried coil pack..

Now go to cylinder #6 pull it off then put it on #5 and put the messed up coil pack on the #6 ... Then fire the car up I bet cylinder 5 is gonna be OK but then the 6th one is gonna miss fire..
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Birdpuk

I am having a similar issue with misfire cylinder 6. It only happens on a colder mornings. If turn the jeep off and start it again then it no longer misfires and stops throwing the code. Rest of the day no issues next morning if it's cold happens again.
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
satgdave

Bad plugs can cause misfiring when cold, and be OK once warmed up.
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Unfortunately the original poster said that cylinder #5 isn't holding compression. That cylinder isn't usually the one that goes bad; that distinction goes to cylinder #2, the front one on the right side. My guess is either a stuck valve or loose valve seat preventing the valve from sealing.

Not cheap but also not a terribly difficult repair. Especially since the left side cylinder head is much easier to remove/replace.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
satgdave

Pull ur #6 plug and put a new plug in. After that if its misfiring still try swapping out the coil pack with one that u know works like #3 or something.. that should tell you something..
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
satgdave

And be very careful with handling the coil pack or u could be like this guy And it rolled off the hood and was like damn $60 .. lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.