Cylinder Head Problems...How? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Cylinder Head Problems...How?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
j123

Cylinder Head Problems...How?

Hello-

I am the original owner of a 2004 Liberty with the 3.1 engine. It has 80k miles on it. Oil changes always between 3-5k miles. Coolant was flushed around 50k and always kept full. Never taken off road, never over heated, mostly 30 min to 1 hr trips. Parked inside during winter.

Yesterday the engine light came on, cylinder 2 was misfiring. I changed the spark plugs, swaped ignition coils and the problem continued. Turns out there was antifreeze in the cylinder. I don't believe cracked heads and gaskets are common on this engine.

What could have caused this problem since I'm sure it never overheated?

What would you expect roughly parts and labor for a gasket replacement? What if one head needs replacement?

I'm concerned about having the problem arise again because I just don't understand how it happened in the first place

j123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Parts fail occasionally. It just happens through use at time with no fault on your part.

Hopefully its just the gasket, I'd get the head checked while you have it off.

If its just a gasket, you'll probably be out a few hundred bucks. The gaskets are cheap, but replacement is somewhat labor intensive compared to many jobs.

Expect significanty more for a new head.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

What kind or color of coolant was put back in when it was flushed at 50k?
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Lafever25

Sounds like a blown head gasket or warped head, either way will cost a ton... A gasket costs about $30-60, oil and coolant about $50.... Hoses, belts, misc items that might need changing about $50... Labor for someone to do the job, like $1,000-$1,500... A new or remanufactured head about $300... But if coolant only ended up in the cylinder and not all over the ground may just be a blown gasket...
Lafever25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.