Cruise control on my 2002 Jeep Liberty is going haywire...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Cruise control on my 2002 Jeep Liberty is going haywire...?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
mvparker79
2002 KJ Liberty 

Is my transmission going out???

I've been noticing that some times when I engage cruise control, my Jeep will speed up and slow down slightly. It's barely noticeable, but I can feel it pull when it speeds up. This doesn't happen all the time though. Yesterday when I was driving home from work I engaged the cruise control for the first time, and when I hit set the Jeep sped up from 70 to 80mph very quickly. So I stopped using it.

Another thing that has been happening, and I don't know if they are related, is when I speed up and the Jeep goes in to overdrive, the check engine light will start to blink until I level my speed off. Then the light turns off. The other day though I was speeding up and overdrive never kicked in (I wasn't speeding up very fast though) and the check engine light turned on but did not blink. It just went solid. It stayed on for the next 48 hours then turned off.

2002 Jeep Liberty v6
182k miles

Last edited by mvparker79; 12-10-2009 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Engine light is more pressing issue
mvparker79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
mvparker79
2002 KJ Liberty 

Update

So I was driving home last night and as I sped up to merge on to the highway the transmission felt like it slipped cause the car jerked forward and then it wouldn't accelerate and the engine light started blinking. So I pulled over and waited a minute before trying to accelerate again. As I sat there ideling the car felt as if it were an 18-wheeler, in that it was rumbling and shaking. It was odd.

So I got back out on the highway and drove home going about 55 - 60mph. It accelerated and shifted just fine even though the engine light was blinking. It did seem to me though that as I would slow down, it didn't want to shift down.

When I got home I checked the tranny stick and the fluid was barely touching the tip of the stick, so it was obviously low. I got some high mileage tranny additive and put that in there. Waited about an hour, then went driving. It felt just fine. I got it up to about 70 - 75mph without a problem. Starting and stopping at stop signs wasn't a problem either. But the engine light is still on, but not blinking. I checked the fluid again after driving around and it looks full. In fact there may be too much fluid. The fluid came up and passed the 2 dots surrounding the word "hot" on the tranny stick.

Please help!
mvparker79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It can be bad with too much fluid as too little. Drain a bit out. You can stop by many auto parts stores & have them read your trouble codes for no charge , some readers can clear codes also.

Post up what codes you get.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.