CRD Winter Tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD Winter Tips

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
BFonzik510
2005 KJ Liberty 

CRD Winter Tips

This is the first winter with my '05 CRD, and I have already noticed longer crank times on a few mornings with temperatures down to about 20 degrees. Are there any common winterizing tips that I should consider? And what all should I know about its glow plugs and block heater?

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

BFonzik510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Check out LOSTJEEPS
whole section dedicated to CRDs
anything you ever wanted to know and then some is there
Including the NOOB Guide for new owners
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

Unread 11-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Slightly slower crank time wouldn't be unusual. More than just a little slower crank time would maybe lead to following a couple of things below.

Load test your battery to make sure it is up to snuff. If it is not up to snuff look at a Sears Platinum group 34R instead of the Red Top factory battery. Cycle your glow plugs twice in real cold weather before hitting the key to start. If you have doubts that your glow plugs are working properly, have them checked. There is a upgraded version with a different voltage if needed. Use your block heater (on a timer), every CRD has one.

Good idea to run 8~10 oz or so of Power Service with every tank of fuel to lessen any chances of gelling issues in colder months. I also run 4 oz of synthetic 2 stroke oil (like Super Tech from small mart) in every tank - as ultra low sulfur diesel fuel has been around since 05 or 06. I'm sure by now you are already running winter grade fuel.

Hope this might be of some help.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

I like that 2 stroke oil from Walmart. Super Tech in the blue plastic bottle. I use 8oz in a tank, but thats just me…If she's cranking slow 95BadBoy has it right with checking the battery. Simple but important
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

oilbuner

Yes, a bit of that marine Super Tech with each tank helps keep the little tractors happy happy happy. 4oz or 8oz, it is all good. Any thing to combat the effects of mandated ULSD pumped now days.

In my garage, I'm now down to only two pieces of 2 stroke yard equipment, a chain saw and a leaf blower. I ran out of the regular dino two stroke oil about two months back. Used the synthetic that I had been putting into the CRD. It was a dramatic improvement on the 30 year old leaf blower. No effect at first, but after about 10 minutes of use - it cleaned things out quite a bit. That old Stihl blower perked up and has been acting better than it ever has.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

For years I looked at that blue 1gal jug and new it was good for something, low and behold I found something I could use it on, My Jeephttp://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6280...itive-is-best/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.