CRD timing belt tools? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD timing belt tools?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
dieseltoyz

CRD timing belt tools?

I have been trying to round up the tools to perform a timing belt replacement on my '05 Liberty CRD. I have checked my FSM and the tool part numbers are not Jeep numbers but VM Motori part numbers. I have no way of cross-referencing these numbers to buy the tools. I need the two set pins, cam lock tool, and belt tensioner tool. Any recommendations on where to buy these tools?

dieseltoyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Silver Streak
2005 KJ Liberty 

You might try a Detroit Diesel distributor, one that services big diesel rigs in various applications. The reason i say this is Detroit Diesel imported VM Motori engines ( mostly for yachts, Motori is said to about own the yacht business now) for several years. That is how Daimler got their share of VM Motori. Chrysler actually owned the other half of VM Motori when they merged, making Daimler Chrysler the sole owner of Motori for a few years. About `04 Daimler Chrysler sold the 51% share to Roger Penske, along with Detroil Diesel of Brazil. That is about when he got the total US franchise for Smart cars too.
Detroit Diesel still services and sells VM Motori engines in the US. I expect they have the special service tools available, and hopefully will sell them to you. If you have any luck at it, let us know. I am close to needing my cam belt changed as well.

Silver Streak
`05 CRD
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
daxiet

Please give the details of the timing belt change when done, I just had mine done by a garage locally, paid an arm and a leg for it. I would have loved to do it myself, but the tools were lacking as well.
daxiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
dieseltoyz

I just finished this one:

http://www.dieseltoyz.com/timing%20belt%20how%20to.html

I plan on doing a similar one for the CRD when I get the tools. I pulled the intake manifold/valve cover because the EGR/PCV completely gummed up the intake. So much so that I'd say it was more than 80% clogged. I took the intake to the machine shop so it can be hot tanked.
Unread 02-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
daxiet

Excellent, very comprehensive how to. I see you went a step further than just putting the vehicle in park and chocking the wheels, you removed the whole engine

If you could do a similar trick with the Jeep it would be awesome! The Jeep I think is a very lengthy process as they seemingly remove the radiator for space, then have to remove the fan belt,etc before even getting to the timing belt cover.
daxiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
dieseltoyz

Thank you sir...I started with the engine removed as the engines are shipped to me.
Unread 04-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
gk4fb0

jeep crd tools

Hi Dieseltoyz,

Ok, I just completed my wifes liberty. I'm a certified aircraft, marine, motorcycle and automechanic.

The tensioner tool for the timing belt, 2 - pins that fit inside the holes, 7 mm box wrench one one against the other whala!

Drill bits work fine for the alignment tool for the cams with clear nylon tubing slid on over to fill the gap of the valve covers. (when you remove the cam pulleys you'll see the two drive slots are facing each other) clean the entire area with brake cleaner.

Cam pulleys can be removed and tightened quickly and easily. You get the correct bolts to fit the three holes for each. They will need to be long enough for one two nuts each. strap steel to form a triangle on each pulley, and one cross rod top from one pulley to bottom of the other pulley (cancelling the rotation). Reverse when tightening. Walk in the park. So all three special tools were nothing but made at the local hardware. This engine is one very easy and fun to work on.

Now, at 90 thousand miles I found replace all idler wheels, the squealing squirl is usually the fan bearing support. At your local Jeep Dealer have them look under the engine block. Replace the lower radiator hose, turbo tubes as well. Remember your in here do it all and you know you can run another 90k miles.

gk4fb0
gk4fb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
bradandrose

Do you have any photos of these homemade tools you could post (especially what you did for the cam pulley tool)? I having a hard time visualizing what you did.

Also, (this is probably a silly question) I don't see why you need to loosen the camshaft pulleys at all just to change the timing belt. Do the pulleys need to be replaced along with the belt? I see that the timing belt costs like $130. Do the pulleys come with the belt?

Last edited by bradandrose; 04-23-2009 at 11:31 AM..
bradandrose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
Tulsa
2005 KJ Liberty 

Doesn't Miller make some of the tools for the 2.8VM?
Unread 04-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hey GK, what is the change interval on that belt again?

are there 100,000 mile belts for CRD's as there are TDI's?
CRD_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.