CRD Stripped Oil Drain Plug - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD Stripped Oil Drain Plug

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #16
xyz123
Super Senior Member

Why not just call the dealership and ask?

I actually had mine replaced yesterday, at no additional charge by the dealership. Of course, they probably knew they are the only people that have touched it, so it was going to be on them anyhow..

The dealership does all the work on mine until the extended warranty is out; then the extended warranty provider can't point fingers and squirm out of paying for repairs..

xyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #17
drvita
2005 KJ Liberty 

Stripped CRD oil drain

I drilled mine out with a 41/64 drill bit and tapped to 18 mm x 1.5, then installed Fumoto F-104 valve. I got the drill and tap at drillsandtaps.com. I am satisfied with this conversion.
drvita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #18
drvita
2005 KJ Liberty 

I drilled mine out with a 41/64 drill bit and tapped to 18 mm x 1.5, then installed Fumoto F-104 valve. I got the drill and tap at drillsandtaps.com. I am satisfied with this conversion.
drvita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:57 AM   #19
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

That is basically what I did - sans the Fumoto drain. I was going to try a timesert or another thread insert, but I couldn't locate a piece without buying a whole kit. I probably did't look far enough, but in the meantime I bout the drill and tap for the 18 mm, and so far it has held up nicely. I am much more careful about the plug now too.
dabincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #20
David128

Time-Sert thread repair kits for drain pan.

http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html

Cherrs
D
David128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #21
jinshiyang

I bout the drill and tap for the 18 mm, and so far it has held up nicely.thread insert helicoil
Unread 05-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #22
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

The Fumoto valve prevents headaches. It works great although the flow rate is a little slow. But with the included hose you can direct the oil into a container for disposal.
99 Harley Sportster
88 Ford 350 diesel dump truck
02 Northwing Maverick Legend weight shift trike
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #23
travelndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvita View Post
I tried that website (drillsandtaps.com) and got a page error... I'm wondering if I can use a 5/8 drill bit since it is only 1/64 under 41/64....
travelndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #24
WXman
2001 WJ 

Ordered Fumoto F-102 for mine when I got it a couple months ago. On the first oil change I realized that mine had been stripped before and retapped. UGH! So I sold that Fumoto of a forum member, and went on a goosehunt trying to figure out what they had tapped it to. Turned out they tapped it to 3/4x16 UNF thread...and there is a Fumoto for that. So I ordered a new Fumoto to match the thread.

Problem is...it's still leaky and some oil is dripping. I even doubled up the o-ring gaskets and it still leaks. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to make the Fumoto stop leaking (the new plug the original owner had in there was leaking also). These aluminum pans are a PITA.

Any ideas on how to make a 3/4-16 plug stop leaking?
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #25
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

The simplest thing would be to just go larger. (I'll save everyone the trouble of replying: That's what she said!) This chart will help. I have a gasser so I am not sure how thick the CRD drain pan is but I would go 7/8-14 NF to make sure you have plenty of "meat". If you have never done this it is not that difficult. Take your time and make sure you use a high quality tap (no 3.99 Habour Freight crap) and a brand new drill bit. Since it is aluminum it will grab quick so make sure to put some oil and the bit and tap (it will be in that pan beside you ) It sounds like a lot of CRD owners use the Fumoto so I would check with them to get the next size up from your 3/4. The only thing bad that I have heard about them is that they drain slow. Which means we may have to enjoy three beers instead of the two we are used to drinking while the oil drains.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #26
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thankfully the previous owner of my KJ installed a fumoto. What a pleasure doing oil changes.
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #27
WXman
2001 WJ 

Anybody know where to find a thick, rubber (or some other "crushable" material) drain plug gasket that would fit a 3/4" -16 plug? I'd like to try that before I retap the hole again. I'm afraid the more this thing gets tapped..the bigger the problem is going to get. These fiber plug gaskets don't seem to be getting the job done.
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #28
CATCRD
2005 KJ Liberty 

Go to autozone and they usually have a rack of copper washers of all sizes for different drain plugs. That would be your best permanent solution without retapping.
CATCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
WXman
2001 WJ 

So I went to NAPA and they didn't have a da*n thing. Of course. I knew I was wasting my time going there. So I went to O'reilly and they had some gaskets but they were nylon, fabric, or copper. So I started looking around in the isle that had the PCV grommets...and I actually found a grommet that's thick rubber and slid snug over my 3/4" drain plug with a few threads exposed. I couldn't believe it. I think this will work perfect! I haven't tried it yet...but I think this is going to seal off much better and stop my leak.
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #30
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

WXman

If that O'Rielly one doesn't do the job, maybe check to see if there is a Ag store or pump shop that deals with hydraulic hoses. They often have quite a few different types washers/gaskets on hand rated for oil and other types of fluids. FWIW

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.