CRD POWER question. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 36 Old 08-19-2006, 06:30 PM
JoBo

The one or two second delay is caused by how the engine computer is programmed to cut down/eliminate smoke. The happened in 2000 according to a couple of knowledgable posters on another board and is the same on busses and trucks. Previously when you would mashed a diesel you had a James Bond smoke screen

As to your question about the transfer case it's a NP241 and is not all wheel drive. It's like the NP231 except it has a 4 fulltime selection also. In the XJ's the 231 is a command tract and the 241 is a select tract. This is what the CRD's Have. The AWD transfer case is a NP249 (maybe 247?) and you basically have 4 hi and 4lo, this is not in the CRD's. The 06 crd's have some fancy traction control features that are called ESP and they incorporate the abs on 4 of the 5 features and throttle back the engine on the roll over protection feature

JoBo
Columbus, Ohio USA
2006 KJ CRD Atlantic Blue Pearl Coat Limited
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 Old 08-19-2006, 06:51 PM
CRD4Liberty

My CRD pulling a 16 ft salmon/steelhead jetsled pulls away from my buddy's F-150 with 4.6 L V-8 pulling a similar sized boat through the Cascade Mts. The fun doesn't stop at the fuel pump either. My parents borrowed the Liberty to pull their 15ft travel trailer to the Oregon Desert near Plush for a week, they said their fuel bill was less than half what they usually needed to pull the trailer with their 3/4 ton Chevy with 350. They spent the week wheeling through the back country from Abert's Rim to Nevada's Black Rock Desert, they loved the rig.
post #18 of 36 Old 08-19-2006, 07:02 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD4Liberty
My CRD pulling a 16 ft salmon/steelhead jetsled pulls away from my buddy's F-150 with 4.6 L V-8 pulling a similar sized boat through the Cascade Mts. The fun doesn't stop at the fuel pump either. My parents borrowed the Liberty to pull their 15ft travel trailer to the Oregon Desert near Plush for a week, they said their fuel bill was less than half what they usually needed to pull the trailer with their 3/4 ton Chevy with 350. They spent the week wheeling through the back country from Abert's Rim to Nevada's Black Rock Desert, they loved the rig.

The 4.6 is a dog. My 1997 had to go down into 3rd sometimes to pull the incline out of Denver. I was ashamed. The delay is more like 0.5 seconds. I never put a clock on it, but it is less than a second. No big deal, but to some it could be in rush hour traffic.

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD

post #19 of 36 Old 08-19-2006, 08:17 PM
homebudz
2008 JK Wrangler 

With a bit over 1200 miles on my 06 CRD Limited,I'm loving it.The power rolls on very smoothly,and it will surprise you.Mileage is nothing short of awesome.I am waiting for this to happen to the wranglers in the near future.Diesel is the way to go.I highly recommend it.

2008 JK Wrangler X with the "S" package.Flowmaster 40.K&N dropin.
post #20 of 36 Old 08-23-2006, 09:17 PM
4.0v8eater

well at certian speeds if you mash it say goodbuy

while trying to get into the comuter lane you should see peoples reactions i swear it peels out going 40mph and climbs fast. Off the line the weight is a big factor i dont even try to push it. I let everyone fly past me while i barely tap the throttle, should save fuel.
post #21 of 36 Old 08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
naturist

I'd agree, pulls strong.

An early review I read before buying mine said that if you put it in full-time 4wd, then take off from a red light by mashing the foot-feed to the floor, it will spin all 4 wheels when the turbo kicks in.

I've never tried that, but I have been kicked in the butt when, after trying to hustle across 2 lanes gettin' on the highway on about 3/4 throttle, power suddenly arrived.

Throttle lag isn't bad at all, less than a second or so, after you get moving, but that initial take off from rest can be thrilling if you don't pay attention.
post #22 of 36 Old 08-25-2006, 04:19 PM
J's02Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgeddes
I'll chime in. I own an early YJ, a late XJ, and a CRD. The diesel has tiny little lag, and with some practice, you can learn to predict, and anticipate it's effect. The engine is powerful. Nothing to debate about that. The V8 guys will have comments about power but they will be pumping gas so often you won't hear them. The 4.0L has a great reputation for longevity, well earned, but it's a bit of a pig too. My YJ 4.2L is a huge pig, and a dog, it lacks the power of the 4.0 in my experience. All butt dyno info.

Our CRD needed to break in to get to the money. It got fair mileage until it was broken in, about the second oil change. Now we make fun of all the '150 miles a tank' guys in our club.
Sounds like a nice and a powerfull engine!

2002 Overland H.O.
MODs: AirRaid Intake, Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, 3" O.M.E coils, rubicon shocks
JKS-Fr. Trackbar & Disco w/ JKS Rr. Trackbar. 265 70 17 BFG A/T KO

2003 Maxima GLE (Haul a$$ car) Fully Loaded
post #23 of 36 Old 08-25-2006, 04:25 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's02Overland
Sounds like a nice and a powerfull engine!

How's that? The CRD (mine) gets 27, up to 30 mpg. More than makes up for the 30 cents per gallon more in fuel cost versus the 20 mpg of the 3.7.

WOW!!! That was a fast edit.

post #24 of 36 Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 PM
marcuscl

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1978
Having never ridden in either the V6 or CRD Libbys and being an ex XJ and YJ owner, I am now looking at the CRD Lib. What Does the "Butt Dyno" say when you mash on the accellerator? I would think that the 300ft# of torque in that light vehicle would be very very impressive.
I don't own one, but from what I've read, they're not light vehicles. A regular V6 model weighs about 4040 pounds, and the diesel adds another 250?
post #25 of 36 Old 08-29-2006, 12:26 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuscl
I don't own one, but from what I've read, they're not light vehicles. A regular V6 model weighs about 4040 pounds, and the diesel adds another 250?

No, not light but that is a good thing when towing a 5000# trailer. The engine still gives you a nice surprise when the turbo spools up and it leaves you with a cheesy little grin on your face.

post #26 of 36 Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 PM
marcuscl

I've been anxious to read owner's comments as I've been very interested in getting one. I currently have a 2005 Durango 4.7L SLT, and we love it, but would like to trade our 2001 Durango 4.7L for something a bit different. I'm not very familiar with diesels, though, so I need to catch up on all the li'l details.
post #27 of 36 Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
jeepjeepster

I do not believe that it can spin all 4 wheels. I cannot do that in the rain, much less with 60 more ft/lbs of torque and 50 less hp's.
post #28 of 36 Old 08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster
I do not believe that it can spin all 4 wheels. I cannot do that in the rain, much less with 60 more ft/lbs of torque and 50 less hp's.

To be honest, I've never tried to. The weight and low end torque probably keep that from happening without a standard tranny. Wheel spin is associated with wheel speed and lack of traction. The CRD has grunt off the line, and weight to keep it firmly planted. All that, while you steadily (and rapidly) gain speed. Like I said in an earlier post, an F16 can't spin it's wheels, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to be in one.

post #29 of 36 Old 08-29-2006, 07:22 PM
JoBo

The 06 models have traction control amoung other control/safty features that the 05's don't have. It's electronic and uses the ABS to control wheel spin. I've unintentionally broken the rear wheels loose more then once because the way the power comes on. If you mash it all at once it does not respond as good as start off mildley then mash it and "BAMB" takes off like my 99 XJ with it's 4.0L. The delay is not the turbo lag but the way it's controled to reduce emmissions (smoke) on a fast launch I've not tried it on 4 hi fulltime yet though

JoBo
Columbus, Ohio USA
2006 KJ CRD Atlantic Blue Pearl Coat Limited
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
post #30 of 36 Old 08-30-2006, 07:35 AM
naturist

Jeepjeepster, please be aware that horsepower makes no difference here, it is the torque entirely. We're not talking about dropping the clutch with the engine screeming at red-line and full throttle, which is where horsepower gets measured. And there is no question that the diesel puts out 80 lb-ft more torque (which is 37% more tire-twisting) than the 3.7 liter gasser, and does it at 1800 rpm, not 4800 rpm.

I have never tried to induce 4-wheels-spinning either, but I have on several occasions generated vigorous 2-wheels-spinning quite by accident on dry pavement while I was just trying to get on across the 4-lane at the end of my driveway. You start across, then realize that semi is coming a LOT faster than you thought, it gets really, really hard to remember not to push harder on that right foot, 'cause it won't help.

When you get up around 2,000 rpm and the turbo gets released from the programming intended to cut pollution, such a take off is going to produce a great deal of torque. As strongly as the wheels spin, and as suddenly as the power hits, it isn't hard to imagine being able to get 'em all spinning. But as I said, that won't help your speedy getaway, it'll just burn miles off the rubber, and if a cop happens to see you, earn you a ticket.

Folks unused to driving turbo diesels generally have a hard time understanding the differences in the way they behave vs. non-turbo gas engines. And all of us who buy a turbo diesel need to re-educate our right foot, because they simply drive differently. Hard to believe, but there it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.